Which cheap ES9028Q2M / ES9038Q2M board?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi,

The 9028 can be had for just £16 delivered now.

ES9028Q2M ES9028 I2S Input Decoder Board Mill Board DAC Upgrade ES9018-in DAC from Consumer Electronics on Aliexpress.com | Alibaba Group

While the newer 9038 is about double the price.

KGUSS M7A JRC55320 ES9038Q2M I2S DSD Optical Coaxial Input Decoder DAC Headphone Output Audio amplifier Board-in DAC from Consumer Electronics on Aliexpress.com | Alibaba Group

However, the 9038Q2M does not have the performance of the 9038PRO, it looks like it's just the 9028Q2M with some minor improvements.

I also noticed there's no active I/V chip, so either they are using a resistor to do it or the DAC has a voltage output mode. I read the voltage output mode has lesser performance?

I then found a 9028Q2M board which does have active I/V.

ES9028Q2M ES9028 I2S Input Amplifier Decoder Board DAC Balanced Output-in DAC from Consumer Electronics on Aliexpress.com | Alibaba Group

Thoughts on which to buy?

ES9038Q2M is not far from PRO. PRO has 2dB lower distortion, and lower noise if the channels are paralleled to make stereo outputs. Q2M is two channels and lower current for mobile use, but otherwise generally has the same capabilities as PRO.

Which board to buy? Depends what you want. Cheapest 9028 board doesn't even have jumpers to set the reconstruction filter (which you can hear).

If you want the best sound these DAC chips can produce, you can't get it for the price of one of these boards. They can make good upgrade projects if you like doing that type of thing.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.