Converting Toslink Digital in to a Coaxial SPDIF Digital Input on Theta DAC

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
What's involved in converting a Toslink digital input to a coaxial SPDIF for a DAC.

In my case I have a Theta DS PRO Prime IIa.

Obviously I will remove the Toslink Receiver/connector and replace with BNC/RCA, but any "conditioning" components added or removed?

Any help will be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Easiest way it to get a cheap adapter: Amazon.com: toslink to spdif

Otherwise, it may take a little bit of circuity including a 75-ohm load, some caps and resistors, maybe a transformer, and maybe a little amplifier made out of a one-channel logic inverter in a little 5-pin package, or something like that. Lots of examples here: spdif input circuit - Google Search

Also, some info here in the applications section starting on page 43: http://www.ti.com/lit/ds/symlink/src4392.pdf

Basically, the incoming SPDIF signal is somewhere between maybe around not more than 0.6v peak to peak and shouldn't be less than 0.2v peak to peak. It is a matter of conditioning to whatever levels you may need and maybe including some protective circuitry and or noise immunity circuity, etc.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.