Looking for a new R2R dac chip (maybe make my own?)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi,

Call me crazy, but I don´t think these PCM56 are fakes. Not sure though. I didn´t buy any.

The seller also has PCM56 in other grades and procendences (korea rather than japan). I remember the experts on PCM63 discussing different grades and origin of chips here at diya.

-Alex

5PCS Audio D/A Converter IC BB DIP-16 PCM56P-K PCM56PK PCM56P-KG4 MADE IN JAPAN | eBay

PCM56 devices are currently still being manufactured by T.I. Factory authorized distribution price is about $25 ea., so I should think that something is suspect those $3.99 devices.

I got a 1865N-K off ebay and slapped it in and everything works.

It doesn't sound quite as good so I am suspecting its an Nj model or lower. I will test it out later, but for for now it sounds 95% as good.

It certainly beats having to mess around with rochester's minimum order quantity.

I also have a few 1862s on the way and I will be making a new dac board for it. I will have to find a clever way of getting my 5v supply up to 12v, but hopefully that shouldn't be too difficult : D

I also have 4 TDA1387s so it looks like I get to build all the dacs lol.

Once I figure out which dac I like the best, I am probably going to tear everything apart and build it right. LCLC power supply, 71a tube output, transformers everywhere. Its gonna be good : P

Joined 2012
Paid Member
I got a 1865N-K off ebay and slapped it in and everything works.

It doesn't sound quite as good so I am suspecting its an Nj model or lower. I will test it out later, but for for now it sounds 95% as good.

I bought an AD1865N-K off ebay last year. I don't know whether it is a real K version or not.

After listening to it for awhile, I did the MSB adjustment described in the Analog Devices information sheets and there was a significant drop in THD+N. That resulted in a significant step up in soundstaging and musicality to my ears.

I did the adjustment using an external sound card (Focusrite) and Arta software.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.