PCM1792A vs DSD1794A. Is there any difference btw them?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi,

I'm curious, what's the point of TI policy for these chips, cause both of these are absolutely identical specs (same THD values, both supports DSD), except PCM1792A has a TDMCA and SPI support.
But it's also strange that PCM1792A costs almost a half less than DSD1794A ($14.46 vs $28.33 on Mouser). How this can be explained? Maybe somebody see any other difference?

Kind regards,
MD

PCM1792a is the "software control" version of PCM1794a.

I'm not considering PCM1794A. Only PCM1792A vs DSD1794A, these are both software controllable.

Sorry, I missed the PCM vs DSD last night. That is another difference between the two chips added to the above.

Each of these has a support of PCM and DSD stream. So PCM1792A supports DSD. DSD1794A supports PCM as well. There is no difference.

True about PCM and DSD stream. Perhaps different interface? But what about this? http://www.ti.com/lit/ds/symlink/dsd1792a.pdf >"A full set of user-programmable functions is accessible through a 4-wire serial control port, which supports register write and readback functions". Maybe DSD1794a can do both hardware and software control?

DSD1792A has no I2C neither SPI. It has only TDMCA.

PCM1792A and DSD1794A has a support of I2C, so these are more interchanchable.

Last edited:
I think DSD1792a does both I2S/SPI and TDMCA so it comes closer to PCM1792a for this but it maybe irrelevant to your question. DSD1794a apparently doesn't do TDMCA for what it worths. They also all are configurable by software. I can't say how all this determines the final cost. Obviously you choose what suits your application better. Somewhere it says that the DSD chips are DSD stream friendly, perhaps someone could explain that to us?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.