Amateur Soekris 1021

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
You can run Amanero off a separate high quality power supply if you want. The JL Sounds board I linked to also allows separate high quality external power supplies.

Regarding the i2s connection of the LKS to your Soekris DAC, the instances of RJ45/HDMI connections I've come across have all been LVDS (low voltage diffeential signalling) implementations designed to transmit the i2s data over a longer distance. If the LKS is using LVDS you'll need a matching receiver at the DAC end, if it isn't I wouldn't touch it as it's a surefire way of degrading your i2s data - the max recommended transmission distance for i2s is 10cms!

thanks for these great info very illuminating. The LKS is out. now i gotta choose between
Wave IO and the xmos hge was linked before and the official amanero board.

waveio is lacking in the disclosed specs. what is the usb decoder chip? is it xmos u208? the page does not have enough details.

ok so now that i have my Soekris 1021-5 rev 4 board in hand i need to choose the power supplies for the board itself and for the usb board. i was thinking of signing up for the group buy for salas Reflektor-D the other one that i forgot what it is called. my understanding it that i need +-12 volts for the board and i need 3.3 volts for the usb board. any advice or suggestions?

Last edited:
AFAIK there has been no real world comparison as yet between the UltraBiB and the DIYINHK power supply (LT3042?).

What I can say from first hand experience is that my Salas SSLV 1.2 power supply easily bested my LT3042 based power supply when powering my dual AK4490's discreet class-A output stage.

The UltraBiB is in the same league as the SSLV 1.2.

Regarding reliability, AFAIK there have been no issues reported for either the DIYINHK power supplies or the Salas shunts. The 1.3 is a very new beast, but I have a lot of confidence in Salas' abilities as a designer and his attention to detail.

I see. thanks for the info guys. as soon as i receive the Ultra BiB and the Reflektor-D ill move forward with the build. I am still not 100% clear how to set the output voltage of the these two to the exact voltage that is required.

i also bought a Denafrips Ares and audio gd R2R11 to compare the results. Soekris definitely will not end up cheaper, hopefully it is gonna end up sounding better.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.