Integral nonlinearity (INL), THD, etc., in multi-bit DACs

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I think there are some original Philips engineers that hang out here at DIYA, so perhaps they should comment first :)

Anyway, back in Oct. 2015, on head-fi.org, Jason Stoddard (of Schiit Audio), made the following comments about one of the Schiit D/A products:

Some fun facts about the AD5547CRUZ DAC used in Bifrost Multibit (for super techies only):

1. It features an integral nonlinearity (INL) plot that's better than +/-0.5LSB. This is a spec they never provide for audio DACs, because (a) it would be terrifying in the case of audio multibit DACs and (b) it is not possible to measure delta-sigma DACs in this way, since the output depends on the preceding and following samples.

2. The THD performance is actually scary good--far better than 16 bits. 16 bit level THD, from a theoretically perfect 16-bit DAC, is -96dB. Most 16 bit DACs from the Jurassic Age of Digital didn't hit this number. The AD5547 is -104dB, much better than 16 bit--and its noise level is down at the 22 bit level. And this is without the deglitching tricks applied to Gungnir Multibit and Yggdrasil.

3. It is a parallel input DAC. As in, the entire 16-bit word has to be written in at once, on 16 separate pins. This is very bizarre, since most DACs are serial in. Just one way that these are NOT easy to use for audio.

So, how much of the above is hype and how much is legit? (Again, our Dutch friends may respond first!)

Note that Schiit uses $$$ monolithic Analog Devices multi-bit DACs (not specifically designed for audio).

The AD5547 is $13 - $20 per chip!
The AD5791 (used in the Schiit top-of-the-line DAC) is $38 - $166 per chip!

About those modern AD multi-bit DACs (AD5547, AD5791) ...

It's a bit surprising that here on DIYA of all place (where multi-bits have survived and thrived while most of the high-end audio industry went sigma-delta), these DACs have been totally ignored.

In fact, I think only Braxy and some a-hole called "hollowman" has posted on these chips:
Schitt's flagship DAC uses a not-for-audio DAC chip. - diyAudio
Schiit Audio using AD5791 (modern R2R/multibit) - diyAudio

Come on guys .... Schiit's made a killing off their multi-bit dacs .. and no one in the DIY circle has experimented with the AD chip?
Don't tell me it's the up-front cost? Especially when compared to eBay listing of TDA1541a (double crowns), PCM63's, etc.

Simply put, proof is in the pudding, and there's a bunch of modern dac chips that supersede these from Analog Devices, especially for audio applications.

Given the multibit obsession on diyaudio has not been one pushed by the folks with the technical wherewithal, its no surprise that no one has worked with these chips.

They require a lot of extra engineering like de-glitching to use them for audio. This was tried way back in 1986 or so and failed. The TDA/BurrBrown/AD1862/5 style multi-bit converters won out until S-D appeared.

abraxalito's post is a good read, I personally don't like the tone of some of the Schiit posts and as he points out they do contain some errors.

I forgot to mention I have some data on those DAC's using the dreaded sample and hold de-glitcher, but I can't share the results. Quite impressive though there is extra circuitry needing careful layout, nothing's for free.

@hollowman - I did better than being banned, I got a personal dressing down that my daughter found and asked "Why do these people hate you"?

Last edited:
Joined 2017
Paid Member
Pcm1704 is already obsolete and now almost gone from the market. I was trying to make generic pcm1704 (not original but same function) for several years. My first choice was LTC2642, which has better glitch performance(0.5nVs) than AD5547(3.5nVs). This is tolerable in an audio application without using deglicher by S/H. My current audio system has both pcm1704 and LTC2642. I compared them carefully and concluded my preference is pcm1704 because it has soft sound like a film camera. The difference exists between them. LTC2642 has clearness like a video camera. Some people may prefer the clarity. I don't know glitch can make the difference. It was a little bit surprising to me they had the difference. Anyway, my first attempt to make generic pcm1704 was not successful.

The second approach was from last year. I needed to find glitch free DAC except for pcm1704. High-speed DAC for RF application is basically glitch-free in the audio band because their clock is very high. DAC2904(14bit 125MSPS) has 0.002nVs glitch. The best solution for audio application is AD9117(14bit 125MSPS) as long as I have tested. AD9117 has at least 15bit equivalent accuracy after internal calibration. Parallelling by two channels of AD9117 has better THD+N performance than pcm1704 by slight DSM to extend bit resolution up to analog noise floor. Up to 15-bit resolution, it operates in multi-bit. From 16bit to 20bit(analog noise floor) is done by DSM.

The second attempt has almost finished. I'm now trying to design PCB. High-speed DAC has another advantage of coexistence with DSM. AD9117 has two possibilities, multi-bit and DSM because of its high sampling rate. DSM(5-bit quantizer) has better THD than multi-bit because it can have digital calibration which multi-bit can't do. My prototype board has large-scale FPGA(xc7a100). It takes some time to shape up the size to small-size one(probably xc6slx25). Unfortunately, I was forced to give up QFP package which is DIY friendly because I wanted to implement both multi-bit and DSM. But now I'm sure the goal is around the corner.

Very interesting indeed to hear of your results with non-audio DACs, xx3stksm. I've for some time thought that comms DACs would be an interesting avenue to explore for audio.

What are your thoughts on output stages - the AD9117 is a current-out device, 2-20mA full scale?

Looking forward to learn from you guys and the development of this discussion.

I wish there was a measurement that correlates with listening satisfaction. I for one am still listening to the TDA1543 and it is an absolute winner for me. John (ECDesigns) says the jitter signature of this particular chip makes it a winner. He also said it resembles an analog tape machine (I agree with his impressions). It´s somewhere on that giant thread of his.

BTW, I and Richard (Abraxalito) had been discussing small differences between the TDA1543A and the TDA1543. I just wanted to say for the record that the non-A chip is the magic one for me. I haven´t been as happy with the TDA1543A, and believe me when I say I wanted to be happier. Because it fixes some issues with the internal logic of the chip. But it just didn´t give me the emotional response I was used to.

I have a hunch... The missing measurement is the "time aberration" (my idea of a name ;) ). The Dutch know all about it ;)

See for example:
5534 audio amp

And:
https://www.by-rutgers.nl/ME6211-PRO37R.html

I stick to Burr Browns OPA(2)134 because it sounds so good in high impedance applications! Is there no better sounding one? Hardly. Henk ten Pierick developed a measuring program with which he is able to rank the sound of all kind of amplifiers (with tubes, discrete transistors or IC's). He inputs two signals to the DUT: a rather large signal at a low frequency (say 100 Hz) and a smaller high frequency signal (at about 5 kHz) and measures the 'jitter' on the high frequncy signal at the output of the DUT. I do not go into details of his method because:
1. For his method a >$50,000 WaveCrest DTS-2075 time measurement instrument is needed so it has less sense to publish the method.
2. The human sense of hearing seems to be very susceptible to the 'jitter' low frequency signals bring about high frequency signals. You should believe this because no medical reason can be found and the IPO did not investigate it!
3. Henk does not want publishing.

Henk measured a great number of op amps...... Anyhow, an OPA134 follower scores high.

More from user PA0SU (Rutgers)... https://www.by-rutgers.nl/ME6211-PRO37R.html

In the last fifteen years I have built many amplifiers for the ME62 and the PRO 37R (also see the Dutch article [PAoSU]). Electret Microfoons', on my website). The one sounded a little bit better than the other until the OPA134 with the bootstrap came in sight, together with the rutgerS'Clock in the ADC!
The progress is remarkable: strings are 'soft as butter', harps become transparent, pianos sound like live pianos, recorded concerts come into the room as re-living them, switching-off pains.

With the microphones showed above, my recordings undercut many commercial classic concert recordings.
A low jitter clock (<1 ps) is a precondition to discover the differences in full proportions.

Without the help of Henk ten Pierick I never could have made this progress!!

Joined 2017
Paid Member
Very interesting indeed to hear of your results with non-audio DACs, xx3stksm. I've for some time thought that comms DACs would be an interesting avenue to explore for audio.

What are your thoughts on output stages - the AD9117 is a current-out device, 2-20mA full scale?

It's easier to design I/V stage of high-speed DACs rather than audio DACs like pcm1792 because bandwidth is beyond the capability of an OP amp. Analog Device recommends transformer conversion since they are RF and easy to have high-performance SMD transformer. But my target is the audio band and not allowed to use a transformer. Audio band transformer is like OPT for a tube amp. The only solution is a passive one. One register is the best selection which has excellent performance up to 100MHz irrelevant to a current value. Fortunately, DACs for RF have relatively wide compliance voltage. From +0.5V to -0.5V has no performance degradation. You can achieve -120dB THD by DSM. But you need five-minute warming up after power on. Even a monolithic ICs, -120dB requires such stabilizing time. I think a passive I/V is superior to active one If you want to use 11.2MHz DSD in pcm1792.

As to current value, I have tested eight or nine RF DACs(14bit and 16bit with 2mA to 30mA). AD9747 is 16bit with 30mA and has the best SNR in RF as long as I have tested. But it has almost the worst SNR in the audio band. I'm sure it has high performance in RF but not in the audio band. AD9117 is low power version of AD9767 which is a junior version of AD9747. So, AD9117 is far junior to AD9747 but is the best in the audio band. RF DACs have strange inherent performance in the audio band. The more current doesn't mean good performance, usually have an inverse effect. Unexpectedly, low current AD9117(I use it with 6mA) has the best noise power in the audio band. Paralleling two channels achieves 108dB(without A filter). Pcm1792, which is the champion for me, is 112dB in the same circumstance. If you parallel four channels(two AD9117), you can achieve 111dB.

Yggy metrics

Amir made some measurements (on ASR : Measurement and Review of Schiit BiFrost Multibit DAC | Audio Science Review (ASR) Forum) of one of Schitt's DACs that uses the AD5547. The result of interest to me was the linearity, which looks quite appalling. Mike Moffat said that the result shows a broken DAC but another guy on a different forum found pretty much the same issue with his measurements.

Stereophile's measurements of Schiits Yggy - -which uses the high $$ AD DAC -- are summarized here :
It's difficult to sum up the Schiit Yggdrasil's measured behavior. While the processor's analog circuitry is superbly well designed, its digital circuitry appears to have problems with high-level, high-frequency tones, and with the LSBs of 24-bit data. It's possible, of course, that the former will be rare with music, and that the latter will be obscured by the noise floors of recordings. But it does look as if the digital circuitry is not fully optimized. Hopefully, this could be addressed with a firmware upgrade.
—John Atkinson

Dunno ... maybe their DACs were designed by ear?? Still, with Mike Moffat (co-founder of Theta), and with old Theta's measuring much better, the poor lab performance is confusing. That said, non-oversampling DACs (Zanden, etc.) also have tend to produce poor lab metrics.

AD1862 is superior DAC (still be in fair price on ebay, DIP packages are dismounted from older electronic, this can be guarantee of genuine) ...

PCM1704 (also superior DAC but overpriced) ... from ebay si problem because they are dismounted using hot-air and this process often degrade parameters or destroy smd chip ...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.