Linkwitz-Riley 12 db line level calculation

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
No I don't play church music or synthesizer at all.

The reason I asked is that I wonder how useful the 50 Hz high-pass will be. Due to the constraint that it should only consist of Rs and Cs, it has a very smooth roll-off and only gives a good suppression at frequencies far below 50 Hz (a 50 Hz first-order high-pass is roughly at -7 dB at 25 Hz, -3 dB at 50 Hz and -1 dB at 100 Hz). Some typical sources of frequencies far below 50 Hz are church organs, synthesizers, warped records and audiophile live recordings made outside or in a place with a draft. Anyway, you can try and see.

I hadn't thought about that - I just assumed it would allow me to increase the volume without lower Hz causing problems- I'll try it anyway with a switch and see if it makes any perceivable difference above and below 50.

Which do you think would be the better approach to take a stereo signal and make a mono signal before your circuit as there seems to be several approaches that I have researched from the internet?
1. make "Y" with a 4.7k resistor on each arm before into the single leg.
Or 2. a suggested resistance of 10% of the amplifier input impedance which in my case would be anywhere from 1.3K to 3.6K
or 3. or 1k (headphone output ) to 5K (Line output).

On my full range (right channel) , if I want to lower the volume to match the woofer output, could I place a log/tapered pot after the mono resistors above and before your circuit. If so, what size, ie, 5k, 10K, 20 K or ?

Would another pot be able to vary the cutoff, ie from 100 to 200 hz vs your circuit 150 hz cutoff? If so , what size and where to place in your circuit?
Thanks

Which do you think would be the better approach to take a stereo signal and make a mono signal before your circuit as there seems to be several approaches that I have researched from the internet?
1. make "Y" with a 4.7k resistor on each arm before into the single leg.
Or 2. a suggested resistance of 10% of the amplifier input impedance which in my case would be anywhere from 1.3K to 3.6K
or 3. or 1k (headphone output ) to 5K (Line output).

None, because the stereo to mono conversion is already included in my circuit. In the schematic in post #14, the 390 ohm resistors take care of that for the woofer and the 47 ohm resistors and 2.7 uF capacitors for the full-range channel. At the same time they also filter.

On my full range (right channel) , if I want to lower the volume to match the woofer output, could I place a log/tapered pot after the mono resistors above and before your circuit. If so, what size, ie, 5k, 10K, 20 K or ?

At the output of the lower branch of the circuit (the high-pass part of the crossover filter), you could change the 1 kohm resistor to ground into a 1.2 kohm resistor and shunt it with a 5 kohm potmeter that drives the right channel of the amplifier.

Would another pot be able to vary the cutoff, ie from 100 to 200 hz vs your circuit 150 hz cutoff? If so , what size and where to place in your circuit?
Thanks

No, you would need five ganged potmeters with different values for that. That doesn't sound very practical.

Last edited:
Thanks for checking. I'm in the design process of building 15 near-field speakers for gifts to my friends (actually it has been over 6 months researching and designing - I think I like that more than the actual build.) I will be using your circuit that you so graciously spent time designing as it is going to make these speakers have a real nice "large" sound from the small 4 liter boxes.

I'm making the first demo box really adjustable so I can place any 2", 3" or 4" speaker/baffle in any or all four areas of the portable box with an internal bluetooth/usb battery/110volt amp. Then make a quick easy change to the inside of the box so I can test the spl for: sealed, Br, DCR, bandpass 4th order, bandpass 6th order, a 3" woofer two chamber ported into an external passive radiator (ie like the logitech 640) and all ports will have the option of aperiodic stuffing. Once I get the best sound, then I'll build 15 of them.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.