nanoAvr/USB Streamer Expansion Project

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Sorry hehe. Yes wires. There will be lots of wires. I was thinking latency might be an issue for video application so wanted to reduce it as much as possible.

Do you know of good wireless product that can integrate with i2s bus and not compress to aac or MP3 like format for transmission? That is an interesting thought. Would be nice to get working to cut down on wires.

Thanks
Mike

Although it's probably not exactly what you have in mind, I have been working on this problem for a few years and ended up writing a streaming audio system controller. It's used to stream audio to various loudspeaker systems across my LAN - uncompressed PCM audio that is. There is a thread about it here:
A bash-script-based streaming audio system client controller for gstreamer

I will soon release a version that includes IIR crossover capabilities. You seem to be using lots of hardware. My approach does most of that in software, but still needs DACs at the clients to render the audio into the analog domain. Using only USB2, you can gain access to lots and lots of channels (even more than the 32 you mentioned) via pro audio interfaces attached to multiple playback clients.

There is always some latency, both from the streaming and in my case from the processing of the audio on the clients. It's not insignificant, maybe a couple of hundred milliseconds end-to-end. But as long as that remains fixed you can always delay the video signal to match, giving you zero relative latency.

Last edited:
That sounds interesting and thanks for the link! I'll have to read your link in more depth as I don't grasp the concept fully yet. Software is not my forte but would be nice to have the streaming capability. My goal was/is to have a self contained unit as much as possible but wiring is an issue.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.