USB to SPdif converter

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Just reading over on ASR and found a poster there mentioned the SMSL x-USB. Its already boxed up and ready to go, has a nice feature of differential I2S output on an HDMI connector.

SMSL????X-usb???????USB?????IIS DSD 384kHz-???

Ha, now I see that's exactly the one you mentioned in the first post. Duh! You could try contacting the poster who recommended it on Head-Fi only to have all his posts deleted : Measurements and Review of Schiit Yggdrasil DAC | Page 7 | Audio Science Review (ASR) Forum

yes...its is exact the same i mentoined :D
the only thing waht makes me confusing is the usb port.
i use from my laptop the usb to USB -B. so i need an adapter.

Last edited:
If one doesn't need I2S/AES and an external PSU there is Topping D10, it is using the latest XMOS USB chipset, you get a DSD DAC and a DDC for the price of DDC alone.

USB powered should be enough....(?)

Attachments

• Power of USB Port.JPG
    Power of USB Port.JPG
    82.9 KB · Views: 410
It'll work fine for general use, but ideally these devices need to be powered by a clean PSU for best sound quality. You could however use the iFi iDefender, it allows to add an external 5V PSU and decouple from noisy USB power.

i tested an audioquest diamond usb cable with this extra "bias" box. sound much better than all my other usb cable...i have to use 5m to go to my DAC !

is that the same ?? any experiance with this? should i try this IFiDefender for better sound.

thanks in advance
chris

i tested an audioquest diamond usb cable with this extra "bias" box. sound much better than all my other usb cable...i have to use 5m to go to my DAC !

is that the same ?? any experiance with this? should i try this IFiDefender for better sound.

thanks in advance
chris
5m is pushing it, better have a good async Usb interface on the receiving end. iDefender not going to help, 2 shorter cables and a USB repeater like Schiit Wyrd in between might improve things further.

Hi

before the Gustard A20H come into the game i had the MC-3+ Smart Clock USB but still the sam long cabel. 3,5m whold be ok but its like "catenary" :D.

the mutec has to go because the sound of my actual DAc (G A20H).

so my question is, the perfomance could be better if i use a 2m cabel + a usb repeater + 1,5m usb cable ?
any proposal for a fine usb repeater?

chris

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.