Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Digital Line Level DACs, Digital Crossovers, Equalizers, etc.

A story of mysterious interaction between a diy tda1543 dac setup and the human body.
A story of mysterious interaction between a diy tda1543 dac setup and the human body.
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 21st March 2018, 02:16 AM   #21
abraxalito is offline abraxalito  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Location: Hangzhou - Marco Polo's 'most beautiful city'. 700yrs is a long time though...
Send a message via Yahoo to abraxalito
Yeah that's the circuit I was thinking of. Pin5 can be 8V with TDA1543, on TDA1387 you'll likely destroy the chip. If using 8V on 1543, you'll want the TL431 to set a higher voltage, about 6V.
For 16X parallel it would work too, just lower the 1k1 suitably to cope with 16*2.3mA for the current swing.
Old 21st March 2018, 03:54 AM   #22
Bartb is offline Bartb  Slovenia
diyAudio Member

It seems to me the TDA1543 is indestructible
Once I placed it in the socket wrong way and left it sucking 1A for minutes. Checked the temperature and got a blister. Worked perfectly afterwards!
(1K1 16 should do...)
I'll try this circuit and let you know asap. Thanks!

Last edited by Bartb; 21st March 2018 at 03:57 AM.
Old 3rd April 2018, 09:14 PM   #23
diyAudio Member

Hello Abraxalito,
received components and starting assembly of the active stage you suggested.
Trying out a single TDA1543 to keep things simple (for now).
Can you remove my doubt about pin7 (Vref) : still goes to ground with 1.5K, correct ?
Thanks B.
Old 4th April 2018, 03:46 AM   #24
diyAudio Member

Location: Hangzhou - Marco Polo's 'most beautiful city'. 700yrs is a long time though...
You're using the single transistor I/V on TDA1543? In which case yes you need some bias (by a R on pin7) just as before. But you can get better sound by using your own supplied current source rather than using the one internal to the 1543.
Old 4th April 2018, 09:50 AM   #25
diyAudio Member

Yes ! I'm wiring up the schematic you suggested here
(Single PNP transistor in common-base mode.):
Please help: nOOb building a 9028 DAC
My own supply current you say ? I'll do it. Can you give me more details on how to do it ? Thanks.
Old 4th April 2018, 10:36 AM   #26
diyAudio Member

Right now, no I feel too lazy to draw a schematic. Use the resistor on pin7

I didn't say 'your own supply current' rather 'your own supplied current source'.
Old 4th April 2018, 11:53 AM   #27
diyAudio Member

Ok ok no worry I have abused of your patience already.
I will complete what is settled.
"There's plenty meat on the fire already"
Will have the desert later...
Thanks again !
Old 8th April 2018, 03:18 PM   #28
diyAudio Member

Hello Abraxalito,
I've built the circuit you suggested.
("Single PNP transistor in common-base mode. DAC output goes to emitter, I/V resistor between collector and 0V." for TDA1543)
It sounds divine !! Much better than the single TDA1543 or 24x TDA1543 with Output resistance to ground. Really appreciated the tip !
I'm only having this little trouble: It played fine for a few minutes, then there was a pop and it when virtually quiet. After testing for everything else I figured maybe there was trouble with the BC807. I replaced it and it played fine again! After a few mintes it went quiet again. (Attached are the components I'm using; After Ferrite Bead we have a healthy +3.79V)
What am I doing wrong ?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20180408_163851[1].jpg (431.5 KB, 202 views)
File Type: jpg 20180408_164416[1].jpg (470.9 KB, 197 views)
Old 8th April 2018, 03:43 PM   #29
diyAudio Member

How are you generating the reference voltage to feed to the bases?

Its possible you've got oscillation - try putting 220ohm resistors between the Vref and the base of each transistor. I think my original schematic had a ferrite bead on the base but that's not enough to suppress oscillation in every condition.
Old 8th April 2018, 04:53 PM   #30
diyAudio Member

Hello !
I am strictly following your schematic (+3.8V from TL431, and pulling the +6V from the power supply - the same one feeding the TDA1543)
Please help: nOOb building a 9028 DAC

Yes! your original schematic has a ferrite bead on the base. I marked it red in my photo (too small?).
Ok I'll try the 220ohm asap ( and get some spare BC807s )
Thanks!
B.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20180408_163851.jpg (454.2 KB, 184 views)

Last edited by Bartb; 8th April 2018 at 04:57 PM.

A story of mysterious interaction between a diy tda1543 dac setup and the human body.Hide this!Advertise here!