DAC for home system

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Good morning. I am electronic engineer with some year of experience building PCBs but this will be my first time in audio.

I am planing to build a home audio system because listening to music is one of my passions. As audio amplifier I have decided to build a TPA3244. I am not an audio expert but I think it can sound well. As audio source I want to use a bluetooth I2S source. I have though in CSR64215:

Aliexpress.com: Comprar GHXAMP CSR64215 Bluetooth 4.2 APTX ES9028 ES9038 Junta Auxiliar Para ES9018 I2S DAC Amplificador DIY DC4 6V de dac board es9018 fiable proveedores en GHXAMP Worldwide Store

I want to use separated Audio source, DAC and audio amplifier to do modifications in the future, tests, replace parts..... and I2S seems to be the best communication system nowadays. Maybe in the future I add an USB-to-I2s, a raspberry pi...

I don't know what DAC should I use. I was thinking in es9038. At this moment I prefer to use modules to avoid losing time making PCBs apart from TPA3244.

I want a recommendation of a proper DAC for my project (<$100). I also want to know a good place to buy all this components. I am buying modules from Aliexpress and components for TPA board from Mouser.

Like I have said I don't want all in one. I already have hi-fi studio equipment of thousand dollars from my brother who is a professional musician. The aim of this project is to do everything with spare parts using my engineer skills. I am doing for fun. I already have experience building discrete componet AB amplifiers and guitar equipment.

As I said at this moment I will buy the modules because I am working on the design of TPA board. I want to test the the CSR and DAC without spending a lot of time designing and producing the modules, because I don't have that time now. As I said I want every component separated because in the future I want to test different DACs, different audio sources and different audio amplifiers provably with my own PCBs.

I don't want a fancy all-in-one solution to listen to music. I have other equipments to do that. I don't want to solder a bunch of modules together, I want to test them personally to see how good they can be for my future project after finishing the TPA. I want it to learn and have fun.

Last edited:
Cheap lossless is Riversong Audiocast AudioCast – Cast for audio
15,88€ for Prime Amazon RIVERSONG (TM) 2.4 G WIFI ecran Dongle HDMI Adaptateur, TV Dongle Lecteur multimedia en streaming pour Apple iPhone et telephone portable Android, Audiocast07: Amazon.fr: High-tech

It use RT5350 SoC and ES7240S DAC.
You can remove the DAC and use I2S output for your own DAC.
I don't know if it can support gapless.

Edit: i ordered it just now for delivery this 9 February, i will report about gapless.

Very interesting solution. I will continue reading about it. The idea of bluetooth (or wireless) is not for true audio quality. It is only for some casual music playing. Anyway I am ordering some rpi zero for a different project and I think I will add one more.

About the DAC I hace read very good opinions about Allo Boss. I think it will be my starting point before constructing my own DAC. I think I have to study a lot about the hardware keys for the best quality DACs. Some years ago I worked a lot with high speed ADCs at work and I think it will be similar.

Thank you.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.