CS4398 DC on output

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi. I have CS8416 + CS4398 DAC board. It works good except one issue. When I'm unplugging optical cable while playing music through it, there is DC on the output of the DAC. After each unplugging of the cable there is different DC present on the output. Sometimes it can be like 100mV or another time go up to 2.5V or -1.5V. Looks like it's holding last sample or something. Is this expected behaviour or is it configuration issue or something else?

Hi. I have CS8416 + CS4398 DAC board. It works good except one issue. When I'm unplugging optical cable while playing music through it, there is DC on the output of the DAC. After each unplugging of the cable there is different DC present on the output. Sometimes it can be like 100mV or another time go up to 2.5V or -1.5V. Looks like it's holding last sample or something. Is this expected behaviour or is it configuration issue or something else?

If the DC level is different every time there is unlock, that's a design error...

The CS8416 needs additional clock to the OMCK pin to keep going in case there is no lock from the SPDIF receiver. Otherwise the master clock stops resulting in a bang from the speakers. Maybe this clock is missing or the mute circuit is not done correctly.

The exact reason and if it can be fixed is hard to tell without schematic.

Interesting - I have a similar situation using a WM8804 in hardware mode (S/PDIF receiver) > AK4497 DAC chip.
With music playing the differential outputs (+ & -) on the AK4497 both sit at 2.5v which is normal. If the S/PDIF signal is pulled out while playing music the AK4497 diff outputs are no longer the same, - might be 4v & +1v It is different each time you pull the S/PDIF signal.
Any ideas?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.