Allo Boss DAC 1.2 Performance

It surpasses the old versions. I've used both.

I use the Boss 1.2 with the Isolator.. It's a very nice combo.

Looking for a nice PSU for them both now.

I switch from the HifiBerry DAC+ Pro to the Allo Boss1.2 and the boss 1.2 sound much better but why a isolator? I removed the jumper on the Allo Boss 1.2 and powered both. Is't that the same as an isolator?

Joined 2003
Paid Member
1st listen to the BOSS 1.2 tonight. With only about 1 hour of run-time, I expected to take a quick listen and pull it out for more break-in. Instead I am very impressed with the musicality, directness, nuance, dynamics, excitement, and treble clarity/purity.

I think I'll leave it in while it runs-in.

The RPi is powered by a DIY'd 5V linear supply based on a K&K Audio 12 watt Low Voltage Power Supply kit.

The BOSS is sitting on an Ian Isolator-Pi and an Uptone Audio LPS-1 is powering both.

Later I'll separate the power between the Boss & Isolator-Pi and power each with it's own LPS-1, along with 2 more feeding the RPi through a Stammheim Dual 3||LT-3045 board.

Distro/SW is PiCorePlayer/Squeezelite with Soundcheck's recommended configuration tweaks.

After 3-4 weeks of run-time, I'll compare to the original Boss, the Piano 2.1 in dual-mono, Ian's ES9018K2M prototype, and my current fav, my HotRod version of Dial Audio's RPi DAC. Initial impressions is that the BOSS 1.2 has:

1. Closed the gap between the original BOSS & my fav RPi DACs which both have separate output stages (Opamps) and of which the Dial requires +-15V.

2. Overtaken the Piano 2.1 in Dual-Mono mode where the Piano exhibited advantages in dynamics and overall energy.

3. Done away with the need for a Kali to sound its best. I will try it in slave mode on one, but what I'm hearing now is handily above what the original Boss did with the Kali.

And it should only improve with run-time. I'm impressed!

Greg in Mississippi

P.S. I'm sure that it doesn't hurt that I've upgraded amps since my last listen to the original BOSS, but the other DACs I mentioned above did not show this level of improvement through the new amps, a PS Audio BHK-250 in each of my 2 setups.

Last edited:
Hi Greg.

I'm running a Anaview AMS0100-2300 amp.

The Pi-tower (PI3-Kali-P21) and the amp sit on one bamboo-board and
just a soldered 3 inch wire between them.
I tried several amps. I think this one is really good. Especially if directly connected.

I'm not that convinced to go the Boss1.2 route. I do see several nice changes
they've introduced. I'm not sure if it's worth it.

I don't have an isolator board. I was hoping that Allo would be introducing something on the DAC-board itself.
I do expect just a little effect from that isolator though.

I do not hope that the Kali makes any difference with the Boss1.2 anymore. Considering that Allo also changed the clock setup.

What I really like with the Piano21 is what you said: Dynamics, energy and
a very ""natural"" sound. And still very clean and awesome depth with the Kali and all the SW tweaks.

I think I'm rather waiting for the Katana. Let see when that one will hit the streets.

Enjoy.

Last edited:
Joined 2003
Paid Member
Hi Greg.

I'm running a Anaview AMS0100-2300 amp.

The Pi-tower (PI3-Kali-P21) and the amp sit on one bamboo-board and
just a soldered 3 inch wire between them.
I tried several amps. I think this one is really good. Especially if directly connected.

I'm not that convinced to go the Boss1.2 route. I do see several nice changes
they've introduced. I'm not sure if it's worth it.

I don't have an isolator board. I was hoping that Allo would be introducing something on the DAC-board itself.
I do expect just a little effect from that isolator though.

I do not hope that the Kali makes any difference with the Boss1.2 anymore. Considering that Allo also changed the clock setup.

What I really like with the Piano21 is what you said: Dynamics, energy and
a very ""natural"" sound. And still very clean and awesome depth with the Kali and all the SW tweaks.

I think I'm rather waiting for the Katana. Let see when that one will hit the streets.

Enjoy.

Hey Soundcheck, long time!

I wasn't suggesting this as the ULTIMATE RPi DAC, but a VERY GOOD one at a VERY reasonable price. Also it is designed to work ok while sharing a power supply with the RPi, but will shine when care is taken to use the best quality supplies.

OTOH, I too expect very good things out of the Katana and am eagerly looking forward to it. Having heard a lot of buzz on the top end ESS Pro chips, I also have a couple of Twisted Pear Buffalo-III Pro builds in-process, both an ES9028Pro and an ES9038Pro one... very curious how they'll compare to my Soekris setups.

I will do a head-to-head between the BOSS 1.2 and my Piano 2.1 setup on an RPi -> Isolator -> Kali, but recollection is that the new BOSS 1.2 will best it. We'll see.

See you around! Keep up the GREAT blog articles!

Greg in Mississippi

I had a discussion over at AA.

There's a guy who compared the Boss1.2 with a tiny Apogee Groove USB-DAC (350€ over here).
He prefers the Groove - not by a small margin.
Though he's saying that he also likes the Boss1.2 very much.

Now. Reading between the lines.

He's running a very basic setup on the Boss. There's a good chance that the performance would improve
with a little extra effort. Separate PS etc.

Nevertheless.

I do suspect the outputsection to make that "big" difference.
The Groove runs a ES9016 or 18 with 2*4 outputs paralleled - the effect is known - and a following constant current stage.
They basically are not facing any impedance issues. It'll be pretty much irrelevant what amp you're
attaching.

I hope Allo is looking closely into the output section of the Katana.
However. A 9038Pro with 4 paralleled outputs would most probably be the better base.
But that chip alone costs a fortune. Who is gonna buy a >200$ HAT? ;)

Enjoy.

Last edited: