What about those cheap DACs ?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello,

I want to put a small cheap dac in case with one t-amp (Sue AA-AB32313), and have looked up for that.
I use only PCM on PC (not DSD files), and juste want good usb entry (like XMOS), no SPDIF.

I've read good return on Sabaj DA3, but not sure I could use it in my project (the t-amp has 20Kohms entry)

So I've seen those dac, which vould be easy to put in the case and connect to the amp:
XMOS U8 DSD1796
XMOS U8 AK4490

The output seam to be only 1V (some vendors say 2v, but I don't think so), would it be enough ? Could it be increave, with more input voltage ?
And what about to change op-amp or clock? Would that improve the result, or will I just lose money ?

One otherone, which have 2V output:
XMOS U8 AK4490 - 8/9V input

If you don't think those dac or correct, could you advise me some boards arround 100€ (a litle bit more is possible) ,

Thanks

Many thanks abraxalito,

I've found it on ebay at 26$, and they say 2V output, so I've buy one.
This being, i've tested 2 FDA amp on USB, one with xmos and the second without, and the sound was much better on the first.

I'm newbees in Diy, so excuse me if I say very stupid:
Do you know if it's possible to change output voltage on a dac..?
I'm afraid 1v won't be enought with the dac i've posted.

And please, excuse my bad english...
Laurent

Last edited:
I've found it on ebay at 26$, and they say 2V output, so I've buy one.

Do you have the link? I did a quick search and didn't see the same one. 2V output for this one isn't going to happen, its got a 5V supply (USB) so cannot swing 5.6V under any conditions (2V means 2VRMS so 5.6V peak to peak).

I'm newbees in Diy, so excuse me if I say very stupid:
Do you know if it's possible to change output voltage on a dac..?

Its quite possible to amplify the DAC's output voltage yes. That's normally a pre-amp's job. If you meant by 'change' modifying the DAC then usually that isn't possible.

Do you have the link? I did a quick search and didn't see the same one. 2V output for this one isn't going to happen, its got a 5V supply (USB) so cannot swing 5.6V under any conditions (2V means 2VRMS so 5.6V peak to peak).

Here is the link: L1397DAC

Its quite possible to amplify the DAC's output voltage yes. That's normally a pre-amp's job. If you meant by 'change' modifying the DAC then usually that isn't possible.

Yes, of course...Not possible to modifing the DAC...
I just deeded a smal quite good DAC board with USB (only), to put in a small case with the amp, and there are some actually, but for headphone.... I think they don't have enough out power for my project...

So, many thanks for your answers abraxalito.

Here is the link: L1397DAC

Thanks a lot, seems the search function sucks as I typed in 'TDA1387' and didn't see that one!

Yes, of course...Not possible to modifing the DAC...
I just deeded a smal quite good DAC board with USB (only), to put in a small case with the amp, and there are some actually, but for headphone.... I think they don't have enough out power for my project...

If you use one of TI's classD amps they have selectable input sensitivity. Or use TDA8932, this has plenty enough gain to work with the L1387 DAC. But maybe you need still more power....

So, many thanks for your answers abraxalito.

You're welcome :)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.