Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Digital Line Level DACs, Digital Crossovers, Equalizers, etc.

PC based I2S Output for compatible DACs
PC based I2S Output for compatible DACs
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 3rd January 2018, 10:19 AM   #1
Vortex is offline Vortex  Hungary
diyAudio Member

Send a message via ICQ to Vortex PC based I2S Output for compatible DACs
Default PC based I2S Output for compatible DACs

Hi all, I searched on this forum to find some I2S related topics already but there isn't a dedicated one. Well, it might seem legit or even not but there're plenty of people thinking about a bit-perfect PC based source and here we come to I2S.

I'd like to start a topic for this and just discuss it, mainly about its advantages, disadvantages (over USB of course) and I'm also curious what's today's state of the art DAC-feeding option with the least compromise - if any at all.

To kick off I start with an already-old stuff from 2014, Pink Faun's I2S Bridge - has ANYBODY here tried/used this already ? (Although it's limited to 192/32).

I also read somewhere about the Raspberry Pi's I2S output but it's said to have a not-that-good clock in the audio community - while one of my friends building a DAC onto it tells me it's okay no worries.

What's the big truth ? Any other stellar options for computer based playback ? There're DACs which support even DSD512 and DSD1024 via I2S. Of course I don't have such amazingly high-res material (and from my point of view it would be inaudible) but I was just curious what the hell on Earth is capable of feeding such DACs in that resolution via I2S ?

I know I2S is (was) mainly used between transport and DACs in the old times, but now I think of it's extended application via different connections (mainly HDMI connector & cable) to get rid of the issues associated with USB.

Is USB really that bad ? Do I2S output implementations (via nonstandard-HDMI) have a valid future .. ? What's your opinion ?

A very basic hint for digital-beginners like myself.

PC based I2S Output for compatible DACsHide this!Advertise here!