Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Digital Line Level DACs, Digital Crossovers, Equalizers, etc.

Best DAC-chip out there?
Best DAC-chip out there?
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 3rd January 2018, 07:55 AM   #21
analog_sa is offline analog_sa  Europe
diyAudio Member

Best DAC-chip out there?
Quote:
Originally Posted by canvas View Post
I synchronized 2 DACs on Daphile
A surprising conclusion. But why on earth use Daphile for critical listening?
Old 3rd January 2018, 01:37 PM   #22
canvas is online now canvas  Taiwan
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph K View Post
Dear Canvas!
Very interesting observation.. (and beautiful features on your pcm63 dac..)

I suppose you compared using upsampling (of Daphile)
I imagine that in PCM upsampling mode..
Did you try to run the 4490 dac in DSD mode?
Then you could forget alltogether about comparisons..
I mean a further step up for the modern technology..
My mistake. RTX6001 is based on AK4490. It looks like it doesn't support native DSD playback.
Old 3rd January 2018, 01:43 PM   #23
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by analog_sa View Post
A surprising conclusion. But why on earth use Daphile for critical listening?
Any better suggestions? I like it because it's fast and supports wavpack DSD. There is FIFO before DAC anyway.
Old 3rd January 2018, 05:56 PM   #24
vinodt1347 is offline vinodt1347  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Default DAC

Hi,

I have read good reviews of various Hugo DACs by Chord electronics. They use a proprietary DAC. I haven't actually tried it I couldn't afford it.
Hugo 2 - Chord Electronics Ltd
Old 5th January 2018, 07:30 AM   #25
seanp2k is offline seanp2k  United States
diyAudio Member

My personal weapon of choice is the RME ADI-2 Pro. The story is that their engineers built it as their in-house measurement and reference platform. It can do balanced headphone output with power to drive planars, has a silly low noise floor, parametric eq and crossfeed options, can be used with or without a computer, etc etc. No volume pot in the signal path either, which was something that was important to me. The manual for it also has technical explanations for many of their design decisions; it’s a good read in and of itself.

Another interesting option are the Soekris ladder DACs. They use FPGAs like the Chord Mojo / Hugo, but operate on different principles.

The Mytek stuff is also in this price range, and the Brooklyn+ just came out a few months back at RMAF. Sabre 9028 Pro-based, IR remote, stepped attenuator (maybe? Unclear), mm/mc phono stage, MQA support if you’re into that.

IMO, once you’re on the level of something like an ESS 9018, anything else out there will only get you minor improvements. This being DIY Audio, I definitely understand the fascination, and it’d be amazing to see some DIY FPGA DACs using Xilinx dev kits or similar. Indeed, it’s been done: DIY DAC goodness

Twisted Pear has their 9038 kit out now, DIYINHK has R2R NOS kits...lots of good stuff out there if you want to build or buy, just IMO the jump from a $300 DAC+Amp to a $2K DAC+Amp is very small while the jump from a iPhone dongle or motherboard stereo out to the $300 system is large.

Spend it on speakers whatever you have now is probably more than sufficient.
Old 5th January 2018, 07:42 AM   #26
analog_sa is offline analog_sa  Europe
diyAudio Member

Best DAC-chip out there?
Quote:
Originally Posted by canvas View Post
There is FIFO before DAC anyway.
Sadly, ime the fifo does not cure player/os/usb cable/port dependence. Otherwise it does improve the sound.

If you are happy with Daphile and cannot hear a difference between players because of the fifo, then all is well
Old 6th January 2018, 12:19 PM   #27
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by analog_sa View Post
Sadly, ime the fifo does not cure player/os/usb cable/port dependence. Otherwise it does improve the sound.

If you are happy with Daphile and cannot hear a difference between players because of the fifo, then all is well

Yes, I heard the jitter can still pass to next stage through stray capacitance...etc. (I've no equipment or knowledge to verify this.) However, the FIFO does effectively minimize the jitter. Speaking of the player, each one may sound different, but which is the best? (And what are the criteria?) It appears to me there is still no definite answer for that.

Poting
Old 6th January 2018, 12:48 PM   #28
Joseph K is offline Joseph K  Hungary
diyAudio Member

For me there is no contest. HQP at best settings direct into 4490 set into DSD direct (driven DSD native, 256)

The rest is playground..

Ciao, George
Old 6th January 2018, 07:18 PM   #29
MarcelvdG is offline MarcelvdG  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by seanp2k View Post
This being DIY Audio, I definitely understand the fascination, and itíd be amazing to see some DIY FPGA DACs using Xilinx dev kits or similar. Indeed, itís been done: DIY DAC goodness
There are several people on this forum using FPGA boards for the digital part of their own sigma-delta DACs: Noah Slanter (the one you linked to), xx3stksm (with information spread over several threads, for example Is DSD signed or unsigned? ), blueskull (Ideas wanted -- USB DAC product , but he has a start-up company, so it's not really DIY) and I (see the links in post # 18).
Old 7th January 2018, 12:23 AM   #30
zenelectro is offline zenelectro  Australia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph K View Post
For me there is no contest. HQP at best settings direct into 4490 set into DSD direct (driven DSD native, 256)

The rest is playground..

Ciao, George
George,

What sort of hardware are you running?

T

Best DAC-chip out there?Hide this!Advertise here!