pcm2704 USB DAC chip faulty?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello,

I got this cheap DAC but the USB is not working. When I connect it the computers says USB not recognised. My first impression was the connector is faulty but its not. I tried to look for anything broken but its not. The cable and connector is fine. Everything seems to point to the pcm2704. Has anyone got any pointers to testing this chip if it is faulty or not? Thank you

Attachments

• IMG_20171230_145538041.jpg
    IMG_20171230_145538041.jpg
    419.5 KB · Views: 157
That looks like a Project DAC.
The PCM 2704 is, as far as I know plug and play not needing any drivers for Windows (I don't know for MACs) so it does point to it being faulty or an associated component.

Is the Crystal running? Does it have it's supply on all the correct pins?
The Datasheet is freely available on-line so look at that and do some measurements and get back to us.

Cheers,

P.

Hi P,

Yes it is a project DAC!

I measured the voltage on the crystal and looking at photo I put ground to the screw and left side of crystal measured 3.4 volts and other side was 1.7v

Sorry what datasheet is available? I did think about measuring the voltage on the chip but I'm a bit lost at understanding it.

Well there's a DC Voltage across the XTAL so you'd think it may be oscillating? Do you have a 'scope though?

If the Drivers are in the CHip though (?) then the XTAL would have to be oscillating for the Chip to work and send them to a PC. If that's how it works. I'm no computer expert.

Google ''PCM2704 Datasheet'' and................................
PCM2704 pdf, PCM2704 description, PCM2704 datasheets, PCM2704 view ::: ALLDATASHEET :::

P.

I'm stuck too. I do have an oscilloscope it's the DIY kit version for £25. It works just don't know how to use it.

I think find an item that works (CD, Tuner, anything) and have a scope around to get yourself familiar with the workings of your scope.
Then have a look at the Datasheet for the 2704 and check all the relevant points.

Does the unit work as a DAC for Optical and Coax?

The PCM 2704 is readily available.............5PCS PCM2704DB PCM2704 PCM2704DBR Stereo DAC +USB+ S/PDIF Brand New CF | eBay

P.

So when you plug it in to the PC (Windows?) what exactly does it say?
Your first post says ''....When I connect it the computers says USB not recognised...''
Do we take it from this the PC knows it has something connected but doesn't know what it is? Or does nothing happen at all?
If (Windows?) you select the 'Speaker' icon down the bottom right and right click, select Playback Devices then plug the DAC in what happens?

You're not going to fix this with just a Voltmeter I'm afraid so do teach yourself how to use your scope.
Google ''How to use an oscilloscope'' and have a read....
how to use an oscilloscope - Google Search

Have you looked at the Link for the chips on ebay? If you're not going to scope anything then just change the chip and see if that helps. If it does....great. If it doesn't then you're only down a Tenner and you can move past this chip. At that point though it will probably be a control problem (?). There's no info available from Project on these and they're 'only' about £80 so you're going to have to knock it on the head at some point.

P.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.