Need Help!! ES9038Pro DAC + Amanero w/ No Sound Output.. :(

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
ES9038Pro + Amanero Setup: Plays DSD, but not FLAC

Hello All!

I am having issues getting sound to come out of my ES9038Pro DAC + v.2016 Amanero w/ 3x "Golden" TCXO . I can change sources for the DAC and see the OLED screen change accordingly I also have the blue power light found on the Amanero lit up. I can launch Foobar2000 and I see my OLED screen change accordingly, such as 384 kHz after setting it up in Sound (and it changes if I lower the sample rate). Still, the only sound I can hear is a small "pop” when I start/stop a track. I have tried multiple bit rates and sampling rates, with no luck. I have also tried nearly every way Foobar can output sound: ASIO, DS, KS & WASAPI all with no luck so far.

I checked my voltage across the op-amp Vcc legs, read right around the expected ~30V. The twin 6V transformer is reading slightly high at the DAC power input terminals but I keep it below 7V with the help of the 2000W variac. Any idea why a 6V secondary reading upwards of 7.5V? I am wondering if it is even seeing the load (the DAC) because those voltages are very close to what I saw with no load what so ever during my initial tests with the transformers.

Amanero-%2B-ES9038Pro-DAC-OLED-384kHz-sm.jpg

Now on the computer side, I installed the Windows 10 Amanero drivers from Amanero Technologies I assume that all went fine since I can see the device and adjust the settings as shown below.

Below is the description of the DAC from the seller's ad to possibly shed some more light on what I am doing here.

DAC BOARD compatible with Amanero usb IIS usb or XMOS XU208 DSD I2S usb module

It is assembled board with fully tested.
with hifi quality components: ELNA caps,WIMA 104, 3 pcs golden plated RCA jacks,TCXO 0.1PPM + OLED display module + remote control

ES9038pro IC is very very good, The best DAC chip so far, very good feedbecks from customers!

defaule include NE5532*2 + NE5534*2 Op-amp
you can upgrade the op amps here:
AD797 and MUSES8920

>>Sample rate:
1. Coaxial Supports up to 32bit 192khz
2. Optical supports up to 192khz
3. USB support up to 32bit 384k ( option,need buy usb card)

>> Output: RCA analog + XLR balanced output

>>Input :
1. Support : Optical and Coaxial input
2. Support : USB Input ; (option: you need to buy our usb module,
Amanero usb IIS usb or XMOS U8 DSD I2S usb)

>>Input voltage : AC 15V --0--15V ; 0--7V; 0---7V ( M ax = 7V )
Amanero-Windows-Sound-Capture-384kHz.jpg

There is one other sound I hear besides the quick pop when starting stopping a song while the DAC + Amanero is on. If I kill the power at the variac (using a variac to ensure safe voltages) I will hear the speakers sort of sizzle/hiss for 1-2 seconds in a quick fade out kind of sound and then it stops. I have heard this on a few different setups over the years, so I am not concerned about this, just wanted to mention it.

This is the exact DAC if you wanted to see more on it: NEW hifi TOP ES9038 ES9038PRO DAC decoder assembled board + TCXO 0.1PPM + remote control + option USB XMOS XU208 or Amanero -in Amplifier from Consumer Electronics on Aliexpress.com | Alibaba Group

I look forward to hearing from the community. Thanks for reading and please help!!

Last edited:
Now I have both PCM and DSD working. It was just a matter of the right settings. Posted below are the settings I am now using and getting everything to work, including sampling PCM into DSD! One error in the picture, 44.1kHz should have DSD selected in the last column.

ASIO-Proxy-Settings-for-FLAC-and-DSD-ES9038.jpg

Now I am making decisions on mounting.

I may have to sit my Amanero board on top of the sealed/potted green transformer. It's way too big to go in the slot for the usual USB card.

ES9038Pro-Transformers-Test-Fitting-in-Enclosure.jpg

Full Size: https://www1.picturepush.com/photo/...ro-Transformers-Test-Fitting-in-Enclosure.jpg

Read more on my mounting techniques in my article here: Procedure For Mounting Transformers (One of Many Ways) for ES9038Pro DAC + Amanero – Hallman Labs

Last edited:
I bought a similar unit (the 9028, still in delivery), and the 9VAC transformer they recommended...
And it outputs to 11.7VDC!
As best as I can tell, the board needs 5V and 3.3V for the processor and oscillator....
I don't have a variarc but I really need to drop my secondaries before hooking this up!

I bought a similar unit (the 9028, still in delivery), and the 9VAC transformer they recommended...
And it outputs to 11.7VDC!
As best as I can tell, the board needs 5V and 3.3V for the processor and oscillator....
I don't have a variarc but I really need to drop my secondaries before hooking this up!

Your voltages will always be high until you have the load attached. Also you can use light bulbs instead of a variac, google "Lightbulb Variac".

I'd recommend getting some dummy load resistors that use similiar wattage to the DAC so your voltages read are more accurate.

You can reach me at my site if you need any in depth help (www.HallmanLabs.com)! I got mine working fully except for a little bit of distortion between tracks.

Your voltages will always be high until you have the load attached. Also you can use light bulbs instead of a variac, google "Lightbulb Variac".

I'd recommend getting some dummy load resistors that use similiar wattage to the DAC so your voltages read are more accurate.

You can reach me at my site if you need any in depth help (www.HallmanLabs.com)! I got mine working fully except for a little bit of distortion between tracks.
Oh, you mean the V output of the transformer will read high without a load? I think I have a load resistor I can hook up to test...
I was also thinking a CL-80 thermistor on the primary side to slow down any surges and take out a bit of voltage...
I do the same on my Dynaco amps.

Oh, you mean the V output of the transformer will read high without a load? I think I have a load resistor I can hook up to test...
I was also thinking a CL-80 thermistor on the primary side to slow down any surges and take out a bit of voltage...
I do the same on my Dynaco amps.

Yeah, I have seen and used Thermistors in that fashion also. It's pretty common on transformers over 150VA.

Good luck and let us know how it goes!

Well I am pretty disappointed right now... After testing this DAC as shown in the pictures above (working) for days; I finally had all the hardware needed for the enclosure. So I put the board in using standoffs to keep it above the steel enclosure base. When I finally finished putting the screen and buttons into the face plate and turned the unit back on the screen shows the initial prompt for 1-2 seconds max and then immediately fades to black. I have had some people saying they think it is a dead short, but I have still not found it. Please help!

I found the problem. The OLED screen's IR receiver is extruding too far from the screen itself and when I tightened it down to the enclosure's front (steel) plate, that shorted the pins.

EVERYTHING IS WORKING!!! Keep an eye out for my review now that I have no issues I can begin rolling my discrete op-amps up for review! Should be posted in the next week on my site in my signature below.

:rofl::rofl::rofl:
:wave:

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.