Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Digital Line Level DACs, Digital Crossovers, Equalizers, etc.

Need Help!! ES9038Pro DAC + Amanero w/ No Sound Output.. :(
Need Help!! ES9038Pro DAC + Amanero w/ No Sound Output.. :(
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 30th December 2017, 06:36 PM   #11
ZoSoNCSU is offline ZoSoNCSU  United States
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to ZoSoNCSU
Well I am pretty disappointed right now... After testing this DAC as shown in the pictures above (working) for days; I finally had all the hardware needed for the enclosure. So I put the board in using standoffs to keep it above the steel enclosure base. When I finally finished putting the screen and buttons into the face plate and turned the unit back on the screen shows the initial prompt for 1-2 seconds max and then immediately fades to black. I have had some people saying they think it is a dead short, but I have still not found it. Please help!
My Personal HiFi Audio Builds and Reviews (no ads or trackers!) Just HW builds logs, build videos, vintage parts recycling by recertifying them with a Sprague Tel-Ohmike TO-6A, High Res Music, HW Reviews, etc: https://hallmanlabs.com/
Old 30th December 2017, 06:42 PM   #12
Wungun is offline Wungun  Canada
diyAudio Member

Take it right back out of the case...
Power it back up but be ready to shut it down right away if you don't see the screen come on!
Maybe do the "lightbulb variac" test on supply power....?
Old 30th December 2017, 07:14 PM   #13
diyAudio Member

Yeah I am currently working backwards to get back to the point where it last worked correctly. Will let you know what happens.

If anyone else has any guesses/insight they can offer please feel free!
My Personal HiFi Audio Builds and Reviews (no ads or trackers!) Just HW builds logs, build videos, vintage parts recycling by recertifying them with a Sprague Tel-Ohmike TO-6A, High Res Music, HW Reviews, etc: https://hallmanlabs.com/
Old 30th December 2017, 08:38 PM   #14
diyAudio Member

So I worked backwards and removed the DAC PCB from the enclosure. I even re-soldered the plug and the on/off switch, but I have the exact same problem I described above..

Now I am slightly worried..
Old 30th December 2017, 08:53 PM   #15
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZoSoNCSU View Post
So I worked backwards and removed the DAC PCB from the enclosure. I even re-soldered the plug and the on/off switch, but I have the exact same problem I described above..

Now I am slightly worried..
Do you have a multimeter? Start metering it out...
Old 30th December 2017, 09:00 PM   #16
diyAudio Member

The voltages are correct, that is the first thing I did before bothering to desolder or remove the board.
Old 30th December 2017, 09:02 PM   #17
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZoSoNCSU View Post
The voltages are correct, that is the first thing I did before bothering to desolder or remove the board.
Good... I assume 6ou mean at the connection points. Try to follow the V thru the board now. DC obviously, after the diodes/capacitors.
Feel the regulators too.... Are they cold? Super hot?
Old 30th December 2017, 10:14 PM   #18
diyAudio Member

I found the problem. The OLED screen's IR receiver is extruding too far from the screen itself and when I tightened it down to the enclosure's front (steel) plate, that shorted the pins.

EVERYTHING IS WORKING!!! Keep an eye out for my review now that I have no issues I can begin rolling my discrete op-amps up for review! Should be posted in the next week on my site in my signature below.

Last edited by ZoSoNCSU; 30th December 2017 at 10:16 PM.
Old 31st December 2017, 03:32 PM   #19
diyAudio Member

Awesome! Glad no serious damage was done...
Old 6th May 2018, 04:47 AM   #20
technodude is offline technodude
diyAudio Member

How does this DAC sound compared to retail stuff like the benchmark or asus?

Need Help!! ES9038Pro DAC + Amanero w/ No Sound Output.. :(Hide this!Advertise here!