Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Digital Line Level DACs, Digital Crossovers, Equalizers, etc.

Is there a simple and cheap way to get DSD into a computer?
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 3rd December 2017, 03:40 PM   #1
MarcelvdG is offline MarcelvdG  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

Default Is there a simple and cheap way to get DSD into a computer?

Hi all,

Is there an easy and preferably not too expensive way to get a raw DSD stream into a computer?

If you want to do the opposite, playback DSD from a computer, you can use a USB to raw DSD interface board like the Amanero Combo 384, https://www.amanero.com/drivers/combo384-D.pdf Does something similar exist for recording?

(Of course you can always buy an FPGA or microcontroller module with USB port, study the USB standard and write your own code, but considering that the latest USB standard is a 102 MB zip file, that doesn't sound easy to me.)

Best regards,
Marcel
Old 4th December 2017, 04:05 AM   #2
xx3stksm is offline xx3stksm  Japan
diyAudio Member

I have such system which can convert DSD(2.8MHz) to SPDIF(96k) because this was the very purpose to design my first DIY DAC to build my original music file from SACD. This is probably possible by early SONY PlayStation which was already obsolete. I didn't have it, then needed to DIY several years ago.
Now, I know digital copy from SACD became illegal in Japan and fortunately don't need it because I found digitalizing of vinyl is the best for me.

Writing USB code is not easy as you say. SPDIF is an easier way than USB even if the transfer rate is 192kHz at maximum. DSD to SPDIF conversion can be done by a small FPGA if you have some experience with writing FPGA code. My current DAC has SD card slots which are capable of FAT32. This is more convenient than SPDIF but needs some knowledge about SD card standard. Generally speaking, software for USB is easier than firmware for SD card. But for me, SD is easier than USB.

I think DSD to SPDIF conversion by FPGA is a better solution.
The decimation of DSD in digital domain doesn't need a multiplier I guess you have enough knowledge about it. Some software can accept 88.2kHz which doesn't require SRC to 96kHz. If a computer can accept 88.2kHz, what you need to do is the decimation which means simple adders.
Old 4th December 2017, 04:31 AM   #3
squadra is offline squadra  Thailand
diyAudio Member

Not sure, but this could be what you want:
SACD Ripping using an Oppo or Pioneer? Yes, it's true! - Software - Computer Audiophile
Old 4th December 2017, 04:37 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

Thanks for the reply xx3stksm, but I meant a method that doesn't alter the data in any way.

Still, your reply reminds me that I can simply add a header according to the DoP standard ( http://dsd-guide.com/sites/default/f...andard_1v1.pdf ) and then send it over S/PDIF.
Old 4th December 2017, 04:41 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

Also thanks squadra, but I'm just wondering how I could connect a DIY sigma-delta modulator to a computer, so that has nothing to do with ripping SACD.
Old 4th December 2017, 04:46 AM   #6
nigelwright7557 is offline nigelwright7557  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

I have done quite a bit with USB. Done a USB LC meter, USB audio mixer and USB digital storage scope.
I got hold of a USB project at Waiting for Friday – Weekend electronics engineering and altered it for my own needs. It works very well.
They provide PIC18f4550 embedded C code and PC code in C#, you adapt it for your needs.
Old 4th December 2017, 06:10 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Thanks, I never heard of that site, but it looks very interesting!
Old 4th December 2017, 08:02 PM   #8
miro1360 is offline miro1360  Europe
diyAudio Member

Hi Marcel, maybe this?
XMOS Multichannel high-quality USB to/from I2S/DSD SPDIF PCB - DIYINHK
It should record into DSD, I am not sure because I have not tried it, but they provide also drivers (not free, cost 9USD) .. DIYINHK USB Audio Driver [Full Version and Signed] - DIYINHK
... note again, I have not tried it yet ...
Old 4th December 2017, 08:33 PM   #9
JohnnyInBris is offline JohnnyInBris  Australia
diyAudio Member

The current XMOS audio framework does not support DSD recording
Old 9th August 2018, 05:56 AM   #10
gentlevoice is offline gentlevoice  Denmark
diyAudio Member

Hi Marcel,

... I realize this thread has been "sleeping" for some time now but in case it is still relevant for you I have an USBPAL from Rigisystems that will record up to DSD256. It requires suitable "in the PC" software to do so but the structure needed to transfer data from input to the PC is there.

Cheers,

Jesper

Is there a simple and cheap way to get DSD into a computer?Hide this!Advertise here!