Chinese 16x TDA1543 DAC modification

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I made the same current source modification and eliminated on-board 2k I/V pot. But unfortunately can not get it work. Tried to adjust the current using resistor (24 Ohm in the schematic), but nothing.

P.S. After playing a while came another idea into my mind. Why not to use ready IC current source solution like LM334? What could be the downside or advantage using transistor circuit?

LM334 has some limitations - firstly its maximum current is 10mA so you'd need to use 3 in parallel to reach the current required here.
Secondly if you read the DS carefully you'll see there's a maximum slew rate for linear operation graph - being fed by a DAC the slew rate is likely off the scale of that graph (easily over 10V/us). So chances are the LM334 will go non-linear when the DAC's output transitions from one code to the next.

LM334 has some limitations - firstly its maximum current is 10mA so you'd need to use 3 in parallel to reach the current required here.
Secondly if you read the DS carefully you'll see there's a maximum slew rate for linear operation graph - being fed by a DAC the slew rate is likely off the scale of that graph (easily over 10V/us). So chances are the LM334 will go non-linear when the DAC's output transitions from one code to the next.

Honestly I did not read the DS. That was the first thing came to my mind after the failure.

Sound is normal with very distorted lows when I decrease resistance to 3-6 Ohms. I think I need to check everything from scratch.

I think SOT23 BC857 transistors I bought from local store were bad or because of my sloppy soldering job they refused to work. Then I tried the same on breadboard using 2N3906 transistors I had laying around, set the current control resistor to around 17 Ohms, it has worked. Almost.

It has hissing noise when I pause the music and distortion on highs. Current was beteen 38 and 40 mA. Now I need to find an equivalent transistor and play a bit more.

P.S. It is an awesome experience. I have learned about electronics and digital analog conversion a whole lot. I wish I had more time.

Hi, I use 10x tda1543 feed by 5v battery and works very nice same as the dddac 8x tda1543 the only grip is it don't work in I2s (tried with hifiberry digi pro and the xmos card as on picture) I'm looking for this board who looks promising what do you think?
16 X tda1543 decoder fever DAC board digital turntable, CD turntable 310 board | eBay

I would not buy it. It is too expensive for the quality.

I did not get what you mean with I2S why it does not work. And picture is too small.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.