2 stages LC filter (vs HF of SMPS)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi,
I have a Breeze USB>spdif interface.
I broke it down :
- I got rid of its internal linear PS & noisy linear regulators (to 5V & to 3.3V)
- I power it with few homemade PS : 2 PS to the main 5V PCB + 1 PS to the 3.3V clocks.

Each PS are rather simple :
1. a Meanwell SMPS, to supply 12VDC from AC
2. then, I treat the ripple with : 4*6800µF capacitors > a Drok module to ajust to the voltage I want > 4*6800µF capacitors
The Drok module is the following : Amazon.com: DROK DC Car Power Supply Voltage Regulator Buck Converter 8A/100W 12A Max DC 5-40V to 1.2-36V Step Down Volt Convert Module: Industrial & Scientific ; pretty cheap, dead efficient because includes a nice filter.

So far so good : the SQ is far better than the stock version of the Breeze.

Although the SQ was good, as I use SMPS as current source, I suspected some high frequencies to mess the SQ.
Thus, I ordered damn this cheap HF filter, to check that point => RTF LC-Filter (3Amp 2-4S)
By adding this LC filter at the exit of my PS, the SQ surges ! More 3D, more precision, lower diaphony.
It is not made for audio, but perfect for audio

My question is the following : if I put 2 of this LC filter in series, will I gain more ?
According to expert in electronics in the web, the answer is that to build a "good" 2 stages LC filter, both should not have the same values (L & C)...

What do you think about it ?
As in audio things are always a bit different than theory, can we make a damn good 2 stages LC filter for 2.75*2=5.5USD only, or not ?
Thanks
Rgds

Looks to be a straightforward second order LC filter with 100uH and 1000uF. But what's the 8 pin SOIC doing on the reverse side?

I think using two would probably net you an improvement yes. Sure its not a 'properly designed' 4th order filter then but that doesn't matter much. Better still though, ditch that SMT electrolytic as it most likely has very poor ESR. In its place get some Nichicon HZ 1000uF/16V caps which have extremely low ESRs.

30PCS Nichicon HZ series 1000uF/16V copper feet super low resistance electrolytic capacitors free shipping-in Capacitors from Electronic Components & Supplies on Aliexpress.com | Alibaba Group

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.