Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Digital Line Level DACs, Digital Crossovers, Equalizers, etc.

Built a Chinese dac... Distortion and power issues..?
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 7th December 2017, 01:45 AM   #41
nezbleu is online now nezbleu  Canada
diyAudio Member

Was the regulator closest to the edge fastened to the heatsink at some point?
Old 7th December 2017, 01:59 AM   #42
phase is offline phase  United States
diyAudio Member

I have never trusted the components that were supplied with an ebay kit; figured all the functioning parts went to the assembled and tested boards. I have had good luck with starting with an assembled board and swapping most of the parts gradually.
Typically, the supplies on a dac are 9vac for analog on the dac chip, 9vac for digital on dac, maybe receiver chip, and 15-0-15 for the analog output.
Old 7th December 2017, 02:45 AM   #43
Wungun is offline Wungun  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nezbleu View Post
Was the regulator closest to the edge fastened to the heatsink at some point?
Yes, and the middle one too... I expoxied them to the heatsinks after I soldered the regulator on without the heatsink attached... too low to use the mounting screw.
Old 7th December 2017, 02:46 AM   #44
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by phase View Post
I have never trusted the components that were supplied with an ebay kit; figured all the functioning parts went to the assembled and tested boards. I have had good luck with starting with an assembled board and swapping most of the parts gradually.
Typically, the supplies on a dac are 9vac for analog on the dac chip, 9vac for digital on dac, maybe receiver chip, and 15-0-15 for the analog output.
The supply transformer is 9VAC... So the board must be operating at a lower voltage than that.
Old 7th December 2017, 08:45 PM   #45
diyAudio Member

You are correct, the chip will often have a requirement for maybe 3.3v or so, but you need to read a data sheet to verify that.
Old 9th December 2017, 08:01 PM   #46
diyAudio Member

Well, managed to get a partial refund for the DAC... And purchased this one... Assembled!
Maybe not the same quality caps, but now I have spares
Better RCA's, XLR's, and a simpler 9VAC input/rectifier section....
So some easy upgrades possible.

Already ordered a pair of Burr Brown mono OPA134's to compliment the Burson's. The easiest of upgrades!

If I can figure out how to desolder the dip8 Burson's from the other board! Screenshot_20171209-155517.png
Old 9th December 2017, 10:30 PM   #47
diyAudio Member

I would snip the leads off the board, then snip the adapter into eight parts, then individually remove those from the pins on the op amp module. I would wait and just use the sockets for them with the new board, at least for a long time until you are sure that nothing else will be swapped.
Those modules work pretty good with a 4.7uf 50v, right on the pins, under the board too, along with any smaller, film parts.
That new board looks pretty decent if it comes as shown, I have a similar one that uses an ak4495, I put a snubber circuit on each set of diodes too, smoothed out the sound, more details too.
Old 11th December 2017, 09:19 AM   #48
diyAudio Member

So, physically cut up the pcb to get at each individual leg?

Built a Chinese dac... Distortion and power issues..?Hide this!Advertise here!