ES9038Q2M Board

Hello, in dietpi i had selected no driver = just left rpi-2835 (I left it without change after installation...), but in moode driver selection i choosed audiophonics 9028q2m, so it is strange that Moode takes control over dietpi driver (now I am thinking about it...) ? but it works, also tried to switch in dietpi config onto i-sabre-2km driver then restart and no sound so then i had to go into moode driver and to select audiophoincs 9028q2m, tehn reboot and it works again...strange

Thank you. I will try these setting when I'll receive the card.
Do you achieved to play DSD using DoP or native DSD mode?

LME49990, LME49720 (metal can), OPA627 (dual brown dog), OPA1612, LME49860, AD727AR and BR, OPA2604 and the stock 5532

Next best from THS4032 was LME49720. PRAT was missing. OPA1612 was on par with LME49720

THS4032 is distinctive.
I am also satisfied with LME49720, but only tried AD823, OPA2132 and will try OPA627 and maybe MUSES01 in future...there will not be big differences only nuances in SQ...

Madds. I see a lot of opamps were in action at your tests.
Some questions.
What power supply for opamps did you use? What kind of decoupling did you use?
You use mixed opamps from bipolar to fet... Every one need different configuration than other..
My top candidates in optimal design were lme49990 and Ada4898 in resistor range around 1kohm in filter position. Opa627 is to dull for my taste. Better in 7-10ma class A design but in premp buffer positions. Never put it in complex filter designes into class A. I have not try it with es9038q2m dac but ak4490/95. Tested also a lot of opamps. Lme xx710, 720,860 is for me to dry and sharp. All sound is washed out from harmonics. Also it depends on whole system and taste what is best sounded combination. I look for experimental dac to connect it directlly to rpi without kali or ian reclocker. Ak family has no clock so Es9038 is fine. I tried soekris with nurmundus input board but original design is not for my taste. Too relax undynamic like i am in wintersleep. On other side far away from digital sharp sound that i heard from almost al es9018 designes.
Anybody can compare es9038q2m with AK family and older es9018 and soekris. Ok maybe is not fair but... Maybe i will buy this one and put fet or tube stage on output. Thank you for any informations.

Look at the bottom of the board where the middle contact is connected.
It's probably 0 (GND), and the left and right contacts are for connecting 15V AC (not DC +15V, -15V).
For 9V AC it does not matter how it will be connected.(this is not DC input).

Look at the bottom of the board where the middle contact is connected.
It's probably 0 (GND), and the left and right contacts are for connecting 15V AC (not DC +15V, -15V).
For 9V AC it does not matter how it will be connected.(this is not DC input).

THank you very much for the tip. it is my first try with diyaudio
So , if I understand it right, I have to connect like this?

unnamed — imgbb.com

Some questions.
You use mixed opamps from bipolar to fet... Every one need different configuration than other..
My top candidates in optimal design were lme49990 and Ada4898 in resistor range around 1kohm in filter position. Opa627 is to dull for my taste. Better in 7-10ma class A design but in premp buffer positions. Never put it in complex filter designes into class A. I have not try it with es9038q2m dac but ak4490/95. Tested also a lot of opamps. Lme xx710, 720,860 is for me to dry and sharp. All sound is washed out from harmonics. Also it depends on whole system and taste what is best sounded combination. I look for experimental dac to connect it directlly to rpi without kali or ian reclocker. Ak family has no clock so Es9038 is fine. I tried soekris with nurmundus input board but original design is not for my taste. Too relax undynamic like i am in wintersleep. On other side far away from digital sharp sound that i heard from almost al es9018 designes.
Anybody can compare es9038q2m with AK family and older es9018 and soekris. Ok maybe is not fair but... Maybe i will buy this one and put fet or tube stage on output. Thank you for any informations.

I have to agree that any and most opamps flatten the soundstage and it appears that harmonics are washed out and complex passages tend to grate. My observations match yours. The PRAT also suffers with opamps

Whether it be as a preamp or a dac filter/buffer - it creates a hard sound. Although with phono or tape as a source - they don't affect the sound as much.

I don't have opamps at all in my chain and I have a sound scape that you don't have to "lean into. The sound envelopes me.

So when I got this board - I pulled my opamps out just to experiment again after years. THS4032 had stood out before in my preamp and dac stages but I couldn't live with it because of the sharpness.

This time however - it was a perfect fit in this circuit. Nearly perfect.

I have had some more time to listen since I posted last time and although it bested my es9018 with Lundahls in details - it made me lean into the sound again. It took several listening session to realize that my "attention" needed to lean forward rather than relax

Switching back to my old reference (ES9018/Lundahl) - I realized that the "very slight" loss of details was preferable to the opamp. But my xfmrs cost me nearly $200

Regarding DACs. I have tried AK4396, 4399, AD1862, CS4328, ES9023, PCM5102, WM8741 with tube, opamp, passive and xmfr stages.

I have come to prefer sabre dacs with a silver mica (or any colorless cap) as a shunt across the balanced outputs. Trying to put it too much into current mode makes the sound sleeply. Ideal was a passive I/V with a value of R that matched the internal impedance (e.g. 390 ohm across the legs for ES9018 in 2 ch). Don't ask me why. Without the shunt cap - sabres were hard. I then use an amorphous (you can use mu-metal too if your system is bright to begin with) xfmr to convert from balanced to unbalanced

AK and all other dacs with voltage output could also be made to sound good but not as involving as current dacs.

In short - I think this board with THS4032 is "nearly perfect" for a budget system.

Sorry for the long post

Some questions.

Some more specifics. PS was a very low noise +-15V regulated.

I didn't modify any resistors. I only touch resistors if the sound interests me in the first place. i.e. if I feel that opamp has potential. In all my experiments over years - modifying the circuit around the opamp has never changed its signature sound - it has only modified the filter and noise characteristics.

Last edited:
Thanks! What driver are you using with that USB-IIS card?

Regards,

I am running Linux which has Uac2 kernel support so does not need any other drivers. (same for 10.6.4 and above on Mac's)

For Raspberry Pi using MoOde Audio turn on the Uac2 fix in System settings.

For Android no drivers needed when using... USB Audio Player PRO - Android Apps on Google Play

For Windows the card vendor should provide a driver...but most don't...