ES9038Q2M Board

In other words, none of the boards has a quality output filter (according to your measurements).
Agree and I actually like it that way, you can swap your own op_amp for your need, this way to keep board cost down and you create your own style.

Still, can see how the 2nd gen board is going to make much difference vs. previous version, will pass this one but open to hear others experience and suggestions.

BTW, I like the sound of 9038q2m, good on both instruments and vocal, good dynamic with immersive output, setup and circuit design is much easier than AKM product, also with SP-Dif built-in

That's probably moving in the wrong direction, unless you clearly know you like the sound (if it has one?) of the Muse. Specs are unremarkable.
It is depends on your experience and op-amp model & type, best operating voltage, therefore no best op-amp, ymmv.

Surprised to see so many people are interested in this small simple board would wide, 2018 is definitely a hi-res year and it shows at the beginning

If you solder a bridge over the dc blockning caps in the signalpath do you have to desolder the smd resistors also?

BR //Daniel

I just left the resistors untouched. THS4032 can't drive capacitive loads. They tend to oscillate and heat up. Leaving the resistors (think it is 1K || 470 = 320 ohms) adds to the output impedance but helps with driving the cable capacitance.

THS4032 has never worked for me in a preamp or a IV stage but as a DAC voltage buffer - it is perfect.

Just found this thread and scanned through all the pages. Has anyone tried to use this board with a USB to IIS card, such as an Xmos U8?

Regards,

This thread references a number of different boards.... post a link to the one you are enquiring about for a targeted reply. ;)

I use this xmos u8..
NEW XMOS U8 USB 384K 32B module I2S SPDIF output,support DSD for es9018 DAC | eBay

With this dac..
ES9038 Q2M DAC DSD Decoder Support IIS DSD 384KHz Coaxial Fiber DOP | eBay

Have you tried any other opamp? What is difference THS vs original NExxxx.?
Hello, i have tried AD823, LME49720,OPA2132, now i stay with LME... for me it seems that it gives sligtly more power out than AD...and it has sligtly smoother sound then AD...waiting for OPA627, generally sound of this DAC is very open, rich and full of detail maybe too much transparent for my assembly, previous combos Rpi3+Kali+Mambo LS or Rpi3+Kali+Allo 2.1 or Rpi3+Kali+ES9028q2m from Audiophonics werent so open and transparent, 9028 was close to 9038, but details, dynamics through whole spectrum is better from 9038q2m also paired with Kali, overall sound from ES9023 to 9028 to 9038 is very detailed, i would like to try any 9028pro or 9038 pro through i2s with KaliReclocker onro Rpis3, but maybe in future, also was thinking on AKM4495 or 4497 but there is reported some problems (pops and clicks distortions) during switching PCM or DSD sample rates (same problem with ES9028q2m but now it is supposedly solved..)

Hello, in dietpi i had selected no driver = just left rpi-2835 (I left it without change after installation...), but in moode driver selection i choosed audiophonics 9028q2m, so it is strange that Moode takes control over dietpi driver (now I am thinking about it...) ? but it works, also tried to switch in dietpi config onto i-sabre-2km driver then restart and no sound so then i had to go into moode driver and to select audiophoincs 9028q2m, tehn reboot and it works again...strange

Last edited: