Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Digital Line Level DACs, Digital Crossovers, Equalizers, etc.

ES9038Q2M Board
ES9038Q2M Board
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old Yesterday, 04:13 PM   #2371
Markw4 is online now Markw4  United States
diyAudio Member

system54, Thanks for the picture, that makes it a lot easier to imagine what is going on. Since you are talking about a possible case for the clock, I assume you mean you found 100MHz (or whatever the clock frequency is, 80MHz?) noise that maybe gets smaller when you put your finger on the clock? Or maybe the big red film cap has got some clock noise radiating out of it (I hope not, but it's down in that area)?
Old Yesterday, 04:37 PM   #2372
Sergelisses is offline Sergelisses  France
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markw4 View Post
To make sure we all are seeing things the same way, the third picture above is Victor's output stage, not an AVCC circuit. For comparison, I will post the output stage I used, which is similar, but not exactly the same as the ESS circuit.

Also, to further try for more clarity, I will post a picture below showing my AVCC supply and the 'downside' part of my output stage. The AVCC components are outlined in RED color, and 'downside' output stage section is in BLUE.
Thanks for the pics Mark

At this stage of modifications a small PCB gathering AVCC and the output stages would not it be a good idea for those who want to try this project

Serge
Old Yesterday, 04:46 PM   #2373
system54 is offline system54  Germany
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markw4 View Post
system54, Thanks for the picture, that makes it a lot easier to imagine what is going on. Since you are talking about a possible case for the clock, I assume you mean you found 100MHz (or whatever the clock frequency is, 80MHz?) noise that maybe gets smaller when you put your finger on the clock? Or maybe the big red film cap has got some clock noise radiating out of it (I hope not, but it's down in that area)?
i can already say that the nz2520sd (49.152mhz) sounds better than the external Clock implementation.
the case is only for fine tuning, i thing the Radiation is gone now, i will measure tomorrow.

next Project is your (ess) current stage with some z-foil
Old Yesterday, 05:22 PM   #2374
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sergelisses View Post
Thanks for the pics Mark

At this stage of modifications a small PCB gathering AVCC and the output stages would not it be a good idea for those who want to try this project

Serge
I would not expect an inexperienced person to build small circuits, but in my case I was inexperienced when I did it. After all, experience has to start somewhere. Prior to that I had only practiced a little with SMD soldering. Then I just decided I would try it and it turned out I was able to figure it out. Of course, I had been soldering bigger stuff for decades before trying it with SMD.

That being said, others are not me and I wouldn't expect other people to do it just because I did. However, one could still take a piece of PCB perfboard and make sure one end of it can attach to the dac board, and that end can abut up against where the bottom pins of the AVCC filter caps stick out. The perboard ground can be soldered to the dac ground plane there, and the output of the AVCC supplies can exit at that end of the perfboard and connect directly to the AVCC filter cap pins on the bottom of the dac board.

I would just suggest trying to visualize something like that one could do to try to meet the requirements for AVCC. It wouldn't have to be tiny, but it could still be a good layout and make for a good AVCC supply. In other words, a bigger AVCC supply doesn't have to be entirely on another board that sits far away from the dac board. Get them nice and snug together where it matters, where AVCC is, ground is, and power is nearby and accessible with very low resistance wiring. You get the idea, I hope. It doesn't have to look pretty, that is secondary. The main thing is that it works well.

Last edited by Markw4; Yesterday at 05:27 PM.
Old Today, 01:12 AM   #2375
diyAudio Member

Since we have recently been talking about things like possibly making a dac PCB, and like making AVCC power supplies, thought it might be of interest to see what publicly released information exists for the ES9311 AVCC power supply chip. Turns out there are at least a couple of basic information sheets for it that are not marked confidential. I will attach the two I have below in case anyone is curious about the prospect of possibly ever using one. (I also have a data sheet for it, but unfortunately it is NDA only. However, ESS is usually pretty good about providing such things through their distributors for folks willing to sign an NDA.)

ES9038Q2M BoardHide this!Advertise here!