Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Digital Line Level DACs, Digital Crossovers, Equalizers, etc.

ES9038Q2M Board
ES9038Q2M Board
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old Today, 09:37 AM   #2001
terry22 is online now terry22
diyAudio Member

yes The Mikett version looks more do-able for me.
At least it is more readable for my poor skills.

Reading things about Avcc implementation on the net, I found this at Twisted pear website.
AVCC-SR Dual 3.6V Series Regulator Module
Trident-SR

Do you think it is usable with our board?
Old Today, 09:45 AM   #2002
system54 is offline system54  Germany
diyAudio Member

currently the noise of my board is:

DVCC 5mv p.p
DVDD 8mv p.p
VCCA 2mv p.p
AVCC 3mv p.p
CLOCK VDD 3mv p.p

measured while the music is playing
Comparisons would be interesting

Last edited by system54; Today at 09:49 AM.
Old Today, 10:05 AM   #2003
Markw4 is offline Markw4  United States
diyAudio Member

@terry22, The bottom line for AVCC regulators is to build one and measure and listen to the effects on DAC performance. Looking at data sheets can give ideas for good candidates to try, but looking on a few graphs is not the same as measuring and testing performance in a very particular application.

Also, ESS came out with their own voltage regulators for AVCC. Probably because they thought there was a need for one better matched to the needs of their DACs, IMHO.

In addition, ES9038Q2M does not need anywhere near as much current from the AVCC supply as the PRO chips do.

I would stick with the opamp circuit and keep it as close as possible to the DAC AVCC pins. Same for the ground wire for that circuit because noise and resistance there can be just as much a problem as on the 3.3v output (current always flows in loops).

If you stick with the suggested circuit you will know you can expect excellent results. If you want to try something else, we can give you advice for hooking up to work as well as possible, but no guarantees. My recommendation would be to leave the experimenting to more experienced builders who also have distortion measurement equipment.

@system54, Don't know how you are measuring noise, but 3mv p-p AVCC noise would be huge and awful. It needs to be down at -120dB or anything lower than that you can get. Noise is not the only consideration either, but any noise there will get added to and intermodulated with DAC audio outputs. At the noise level that should be on AVCC one would need to take great care in measuring it. Normal DVM leads out in open air already are possibly going to act like antennas and add more noise to AVCC than there would be if you didn't touch it. A carefully grounded scope probe would probably disturb the circuit less, but vertical amplifier noise ought to swamp any AVCC power supply noise, so the measurement would be of very questionable accuracy. All this is assuming you are using a proper AVCC supply. If you are measuring a stock Chinese DAC board it might be pretty bad, don't know exactly what it usually is though.

Last edited by Markw4; Today at 10:21 AM.
Old Today, 10:21 AM   #2004
terry22 is online now terry22
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markw4 View Post
@terry22, The bottom line for AVCC regulators is to build one and measure and listen to the effects on DAC performance. Looking at data sheets can give ideas for good candidates to try, but looking on a few graphs is not the same as measuring and testing performance in a very particular application.

Also, ESS came out with their own voltage regulators for AVCC. Probably because they thought there was a need for one better matched to the needs of their DACs, IMHO.

In addition, ES9038Q2M does not need anywhere near as much current from the AVCC supply as the PRO chips do.
Thanx. I understand.
I will read the ESS pdf to look at the avcc schematic and maybe give it a try
Old Today, 10:39 AM   #2005
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by terry22 View Post
...and maybe give it a try
If there is anything I can do to make giving it a try easier, I would be happy to talk about it with you. Have you ever built anything before from scratch? Do you have a temperature controlled solder iron with a small point tip? Anything that would help me understand your situation better might be good. Maybe there are a few areas we can focus on where you feel like you might run into problems?
Old Today, 12:07 PM   #2006
Ian Greenhalgh is offline Ian Greenhalgh  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

The LM317/337 board I ordered from ebay came today and I'm pleased to report it is of good quality, the big caps are Nichicon HE(M) and the smaller ones are Panasonic FC. However, there was a little surprise too - the board has four diodes on it and is also a rectifier, which is annoying as I only wanted a regulator.

LM317 LM337 AC-DC 5V 12V Adjustable Voltage Regulator Regulated Power Supply | eBay
Old Today, 12:45 PM   #2007
diyAudio Member

Ian, you can remove the diode if you like, or you can run DC through them if you like. They will pass DC as well as AC although there will be a voltage drop across them if you do run current through them.

Also, there is always some risk with buying things from ebay. You can look at the pictures in the ads and sometimes some sellers will show more pictures of a product that others, so it can be useful to look around. But, pictures can still only tell you so much, so you have to be prepared to deal with what you end up with. Shipping it back may be an option, but some things are so cheap it wouldn't make any sense to pay shipping costs back to China.
Old Today, 01:34 PM   #2008
Ian Greenhalgh is offline Ian Greenhalgh  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Hi Mark

Yeah, the ebay China 'lottery'. I've dealt with it many times. I'm actually happy with this board as it's good quality.

I didn't spot the diodes in the pics as they are right in the middle between the heatsinks for the regulators.

I'm not sure how I will use this board, I've radically rethought my DAC project so everything has changed.

I just mentioned the board to let people know it's good quality with good quality caps, so a bargain for the price it costs.

Last edited by Ian Greenhalgh; Today at 01:36 PM.

ES9038Q2M BoardHide this!Advertise here!