Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Digital Line Level DACs, Digital Crossovers, Equalizers, etc.

ES9038Q2M Board
ES9038Q2M Board
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old Yesterday, 07:33 PM   #1981
Markw4 is offline Markw4  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulmarinis View Post
...from what I understand the capacitors and resistors are already good enough.
What do you mean by that? What is your understanding on that?
Old Yesterday, 07:37 PM   #1982
Ian Greenhalgh is offline Ian Greenhalgh  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

In an effort to try to get a clearer impression of the sound my board is producing, I generated a continuous sine wave tone in Audacity:

ES9038Q2M Board-01-jpg

I then played this tone and recorded what it sounded like through my existing hifi setup using the DAC in my Yamaha DSP-E800 using my Auna CM-600 condenser microphone:

ES9038Q2M Board-02-jpg

You can hear the sound recording here:

01.wav - Google Drive

I then hooked up my ESS board instead of the Yamaha's DAC and repeated the process and got this:

ES9038Q2M Board-03-jpg

You can hear the sound recording here:

02.wav - Google Drive

The first thing that is immediately obvious is the large change in pitch, the ESS is much higher pitched, indicating there are no low frequencies. You can hear the distortion too, the tone sounds modulated.

I performed this test using a battery to power the ESS board, to give it a nice, clean DC source and eliminate the PSU as the source of issues.

I am really kicking myself for not listening to the ESS board in it's virgin, unmolested state as I'm having a hard time believing it could possibly sound this bad.

It seems clear to me that my board has a serious issue and I don't know if I introduced the issue by messing up the replacement of a cap or if it sounded like this before anything was done to it.

I guess there's not much else I can do other than attempt to improve the SQ, but it's looking to me like my best bet is to put this board to one side, get one of the better quality green ones and start over, with the very first step being the one I missed first time around - to listen to the board in it's original, unmodded state.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 01.jpg (105.3 KB, 86 views)
File Type: jpg 02.jpg (213.7 KB, 91 views)
File Type: jpg 03.jpg (215.4 KB, 50 views)
Old Yesterday, 07:49 PM   #1983
diyAudio Member

Ian, The DAC recording is louder than the first recording. The second one might be clipping somewhere. It sounds distorted, which mean more high frequencies are created by the distortion process. Relatively speaking, that makes it sound like there is less bass. Don't confuse more highs for less lows. Make sure levels are the same and not clipped. Best to turn down the digital signal going into the DAC by 3.5dB then add a volume pot to the DAC and adjust it up and down to make sure it sounds the same at all volumes and not worse at higher volumes which might mean clipping somewhere.

Also, expand out the time axis in Audacity until you can see the waveform for one cycle of the audio tone. It should look like a sine wave like you would see on an oscilloscope. If you have the time axis too compressed you can get aliasing in the visual depiction of the waveform.

Last edited by Markw4; Yesterday at 07:51 PM.
Old Yesterday, 07:57 PM   #1984
diyAudio Member

I equalised the volume of the recordings in Audacity because the ESS one was a lot quieter. I'm pretty sure there is no clipping.

I'm also pretty sure there is no bass because when I listen to music through the ESS board, there is no bass at all, just a lot of treble and some midrange.

I can do another test and modify how I do it if you think this one is flawed, I'm not at all experienced at audio testing so I'm more than happy to be guided.

Here's the current state of my board:

ES9038Q2M Board-repair-7-jpg

I had to scrape away the ground plane around 3 (the cap's negative pin) because it was shorting to ground. I then directly connected this pin to 4, which is pin 8 of the op amp. As far as I can tell, the only SMD parts I have bypassed by doing this is a single tantalum capacitor.

Here's the simple battery pack I quickly threw together from four Samsung 18650 cells:

ES9038Q2M Board-battery-jpg
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Repair-7.jpg (208.1 KB, 51 views)
File Type: jpg Battery.jpg (191.7 KB, 51 views)
Old Yesterday, 08:24 PM   #1985
androa76 is offline androa76  Slovenia
diyAudio Member

Ian... I can say only what a xxxx are you doing.
You are like a butcher not someone with electronic skills. Sorry for hard word. But your posts are cuting down nice fluently progress of this thread. It is normal that noone want to help you.
First unplug power supply.. Pull out opamp. Connect 12v to dac and lets go to work. Put gnd probe on gnd pin and measure all 8 pins on opamp socket....WITHOUT OPAMP!!! Turn the multimeter to 20v Dc position.
First connect green wire to blue one. Now you can have pin 8(4) connected from cap to pin on top route and under with green to cap what is gnd and you have short circuit. Or at least cut or unsolder green wire away. It is uuugly soldered to opamp pin... Thinny part is maybe touching next pin.
Mark4. We are waiting to Katana review. Thank you for all your explanations in this thread.

Last edited by androa76; Yesterday at 08:47 PM.
Old Yesterday, 08:32 PM   #1986
diyAudio Member

Regarding Katana review, finally just got it working today. I am supposed to leave it playing for 3-days to settle in. Also, there is some ongoing communication with Allo about the test setup I am using, etc. So, probably need to give it a little more time, but I'm working on it.

I will butt out for today if possible if there is someone to help Ian. He needs to get some smaller gauge wire for sure. Ian: you can get little 30 gauge wire wrap wire at Amazon or an electronics supply house. Amazon also has 22 gauge hookup wire. Using big fat wire for little circuit board connections is not really appropriate. Please take a look at all the pictures in the thread to see what other people are doing. We aren't working on a car or a guitar amp here. It's tiny stuff.

Last edited by Markw4; Yesterday at 08:36 PM.
Old Yesterday, 09:03 PM   #1987
androa76 is offline androa76  Slovenia
diyAudio Member

Stop beeing childisch.
Grab multimeter cut out the green wire and write down voltages. Do you want help or not. Before sleep dac must sing!!!
Old Yesterday, 09:05 PM   #1988
diyAudio Member

Okay, clearly my lack of skills in working with tiny electronics is annoying people and four of you have told me I've ruined your thread, so I'll leave you to it, my apologies for the interruption.

I thought I could learn as I went along, but obviously, if you don't already have skills and experience then you will just aggravate people here.
Old Yesterday, 09:12 PM   #1989
diyAudio Member

Ian, please take it easy. You are welcome here. You are just a beginner at this type of work whereas some of the people here are very experienced. You have no idea what kind of expertise is lurking around here. Anyway, so long as you are willing to take good advice when it is offered and you try to keep learning and making progress you are welcome here. I think its more some of the more experienced guys don't know what to say to you or how to explain things that seem very basic to an expert. So, you get some expressions of frustration from people, I think that's all. They experience emotions just as you do, after all, we are all human. Right? So, get some smaller wire, try to make you work look neat and careful and ask questions about things you are unfamiliar with. You may be very smart in the world you inhabit and compared to the people you normally work with, but you are in a bigger league now being here. Here you are a beginner, but at one time everybody else was in the same position. This forum is visited and read by people all over the world. Some of the people here have PhDs in electronics, have been corporate VPs of engineering, etc. So, all I can say is keep trying and you will learn a lot and hopefully end up with a very nice DAC. You may end up ruining the one you have now even if it isn't ruined yet, but this is new to you. I'm sure other people have already ruined stuff long ago and are past that now. You, not so much yet. Just don't give up. Quitters get the least respect of all.
Old Today, 12:40 AM   #1990
diyAudio Member

I'm not quitting, just taking a break and having a rethink of a few things. I'll probably start my own thread when I'm ready to continue.

ES9038Q2M BoardHide this!Advertise here!