Silver Mica for Crystal?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Thanks for all the input!

Rayma that's exactly what I read about silver mica. So it made sense since it has excellent frequency abilities it some how has a better effect on the crystal and made it sound better. Someone actually posted that it was as good as a clock mod by up to 50-60% the quality! And a lot cheaper and simpler

I am not confident in doing clock mods but caps yes I can do. Now the question is some caps used are not bipolar for clocks but I guess can be bypassed with silver mica?!?

I have a Teac Pd-h500i (currently not working) that uses electrolytic capacitors that I thought about bypassing but is the value of the cap important.

I don't know anything about clocks or the required caps or even type of cap. I just trying to get some professional advice / tried and tested opinion of the best caps to use.

thanks

Siver Mica is OK

PEN is a dielectric : WIMA SMD-PEN Capacitors with Polyethylene-Naphthalate Dielectric which has few capacitance changes at highs frequencies VS some others dielectric as ceramic class I like X7R for instance: its capacitance curve stays flat at higher frequencies than many dielectric but Silver Mica and C0G/NP0. (jcx member's inputt at the post above)

Conclusion of this thread is you can both use for HF signal path Silver Mica cap or Ceramic class I cap (a.k.a: C0G/NP0).

Silver Mica is maybe more consistant (aging) in time & less fragile, but I'm even not sure of that ! I Just readed the datasheets.

regards

Basically most crystals have 2 caps connected to it. Not Power caps. For example look at pics of my broken Teac cd player 500i. it has electrolytic caps. front is 47 middle 0.1 and back 47 how could this I use silver mica? Can only polarised caps be used?

Attachments

• IMG_20171111_195626191.jpg
    IMG_20171111_195626191.jpg
    918.5 KB · Views: 149
  • IMG_20171111_195828281.jpg
    IMG_20171111_195828281.jpg
    841.1 KB · Views: 148
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.