Chinese AK4497 DAC dual-chip decoder board

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I thought Native DSD was supposed to be supported?

It's only playing DOP with direct sound? Tried every setting in Jriver.

I spoke to a few vendors of this board and got mixed feedback WRT native DSD.

One said no go, another said would do quad speed DSD with different USB bridge...... that's about when I found this thread... still no definitive answer.

All I can say is very poor vendor support.

T

Thanks. This is the first one I downloaded and it works. No output from the DAC board though when wired according to this:

View attachment 665068

I haven't connected the pin labelled "COAX" yet though. I'll try that next.

If it still doesn't work I'll ignore the previous image try connecting vertically like this:

View attachment 665069

appears to be.
How did it all worked out for you? I more or less in the same boat.

My card is playing though. Only native DSD not working. On a Linux distro it is playing DSD.
But don't want to buy another license Jriver for Linux.

The Chinese make cards but the drivers has no support.
The thesycon evaluation drivers is playing DSD on windows but.. Yeah evaluation... Not possible to buy for end users.

I have this card.

XMOS CPLD U208 DAC daughter card USB digital interface I2S DSD output Suitable AK4497 ES9018 ES9028 ES9038 DAC decoder board
XMOS +CPLD U208 DAC daughter card USB digital interface I2S DSD output Suitable AK4497 ES9018 ES9028 ES9038 DAC decoder board-in Amplifier from Consumer Electronics on Aliexpress.com | Alibaba Group to Clipboard

Last edited:
How did it all worked out for you?

The XMOS card I have is pictured in post #52 and earlier.

After spending a lot of money and time I have given up on the DAC board because I have probably damaged it by connecting the centre hole on the XMOS board to the hole beneath it on the DAC board.

The suggestion earlier in the thread that these should be connected is probably incorrect. The LED on the XMOS card no longer lights and there's no audio from the DAC board after making this connection.

The optical and SPDIF inputs still work but I really wanted DSD.

My connections are labeled this way.

I have spoken to a vendor with a different xmos and said his card does native DSD on this board. ae_1522006260504.jpg

I had a total of four xmos chips in circuits here and two of them have died unexpectedly. I think they are just sensitive to esd likely.
Maybe if you can sort out the connections, then try a lower cost usb board to see if you can get it working again?
Which ones did you try? And how do they worked out?

I have a new one on my way. And he assured me it must work (bitstream DSD in windows) . I also have to connect the Coax pin in the out centered pcb hole.

It's strange that my pin layout is way different from the earlier post on the board.

Hello :)
Been lurking on this thread for a while. I'm definitely more attracted to this board than the blue one. (also for the extra modularity)

Just to confirm a few things. Has anyone gotten all chip supported inputs running?

I saw a couple of suggested mods a few posts ago, anyone else try them yet?

I guess, connecting the Spdif pcb connection of the Xmos module and the according spdif hole on the board. Has done the damage I guess.

Vacuphile already said it's not necessary to connect that one... But the seller said it has to?

When i connect the other xmos module the sound is the same.

I hear white noise and in the distance some vague music.
When i use another input like spdif the sound is hollow and not good.

So i think end of the project....

Still wondering why there is a spdif connection on the Xmos board and on the DAC board....?
There is already a dedicated spdif connector on the DAC board.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.