Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Digital Line Level DACs, Digital Crossovers, Equalizers, etc.

tda1387 dac pcb "front end"
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 1st February 2018, 03:00 PM   #61
randytsuch is offline randytsuch
diyAudio Member

Did you buy the 1387 chips from ebay or ali?
In a quick search, seems to only be Chinese sources for these parts.

Randy
Old 1st February 2018, 09:21 PM   #62
matt_garman is offline matt_garman  United States
diyAudio Member

I'm pretty sure I've bought tda1387 chips from both Ebay and AliExpress. My most recent purchases have all been from Ebay. All, regardless of vendor, were indeed sourced from China.

Last edited by matt_garman; 1st February 2018 at 09:26 PM. Reason: verbiage clarity
Old 1st February 2018, 09:26 PM   #63
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by luxury54 View Post
Hi, do you happen to have a simple schematic or sketch on how to couple an audio transformer with a single ended DAC like this one? I would also like to use it in combination with a class D amp;
also, would this type of transformer be compatible?
What is your goal in using the transformer between DAC and amp? Typical cases would be balanced/unbalanced conversion, DC-blocking, or voltage step-up/down.

Which class D amp?
Old 2nd February 2018, 02:18 AM   #64
abraxalito is offline abraxalito  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Location: Hangzhou - Marco Polo's 'most beautiful city'. 700yrs is a long time though...
Send a message via Yahoo to abraxalito
Quote:
Originally Posted by luxury54 View Post
Hi, do you happen to have a simple schematic or sketch on how to couple an audio transformer with a single ended DAC like this one?
By 'this one' do you mean the lingDAC? If so its not suitable for driving a transformer, not enough current capability. A classA buffer's needed after it to drive into a lowish impedance load.

Quote:
I would also like to use it in combination with a class D amp;
also, would this type of transformer be compatible? thanks

http://ro.farnell.com/vigortronix/vt...1-1/dp/1674305
Interesting that OEP has 'upgraded' their name. I'd not recommend that one as its only a 600ohm, for line level we'd really need 10k or greater working impedance.

These look to be very good bang for the buck - 10K:10K????????? ???????? ???????-???. I am just about to order some myself to get their measurements.
Old 2nd February 2018, 02:23 AM   #65
abraxalito is offline abraxalito  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Location: Hangzhou - Marco Polo's 'most beautiful city'. 700yrs is a long time though...
Send a message via Yahoo to abraxalito
Quote:
Originally Posted by randytsuch View Post
Did you buy the 1387 chips from ebay or ali?
In a quick search, seems to only be Chinese sources for these parts.
The going rate on Taobao looks to be about 0.18rmb each. In other words around 35 chips to the USD. At that price I can't see how faking would be profitable.
Old 6th February 2018, 04:28 PM   #66
diyAudio Member

Default RPI HAT SE v1.2 Files

Here are the files for v1.2 of the RPI HAT SE (single-ended). This is the board pictured in post #58, and post #59. Both of the boards I built are working.

There are three zip files attached to this post. The BOM zip includes Excel, ODS (open office/libre office), and CSV formats. The Gerber files are the ones I sent to Elecrow for manufacturing. And the KiCad files are for hacking on the design in KiCad. Note: I use a fairly recent nightly build of KiCad; these files cannot be opened by the current release version.

Let me know if you have any questions. The build is very straightforward. The only possible issue is the footprint I used for the tda1387. I used a stock KiCad footprint, which works, but the pads are a little smaller than they could be. Soldering is not terribly hard, but you'll need a steady hand and some precision tweezers. I have since created a custom KiCad footprint for the tda1387, which should be easier to use. However, as it's currently untested, I don't want to release it. But feel free to PM me if you'd like to take on the risk.

Hope somebody enjoys these!
Attached Files
File Type: zip tda1387_rpi-hat_se_v1.2_BOM.zip (23.0 KB, 42 views)
File Type: zip tda1387_rpi-hat_se_v1.2_gerber-20180111.zip (44.1 KB, 26 views)
File Type: zip tda1387_rpi-hat_se_v1.2_kicad-20180111.zip (85.1 KB, 30 views)
Old 12th February 2018, 08:14 PM   #67
diyAudio Member

Meant to include this in the previous post: here's the schematic for the single-ended RPI HAT.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg tda1387_rpi-hat_se_schematic_20180212.jpg (580.8 KB, 319 views)
Old 13th February 2018, 01:23 AM   #68
diyAudio Member

Sorry, previous post was the wrong schematic. (Previous is the balanced RPI Hat.) Here's the right one!

Moderators, please feel free to delete the previous post.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg tda1387_rpi_hat-se_schem_20180212.jpg (240.3 KB, 314 views)

Last edited by matt_garman; 13th February 2018 at 01:26 AM.
Old 18th February 2018, 10:20 PM   #69
diyAudio Member

Default Single-ended RPI HAT works with Allo Kali

I bought an Allow Kali Raspberry Pi I2S reclocker a long time ago, finally got around to using it. I paired it up with the tda1387 rpi hat pictured above. Now I've got it playing through my main system: TI tpa3251evm amp, Solstice MLTL speakers. The DAC I've been using in this system for months now is the Allo Boss. I can't tell if it's the inherent "sweetness" of the tda1387 DAC chip, or simply my "baby bias", but I really think this DAC sounds great. It's surprisingly clean as well. I'm even using software volume control, which has known limitations. Yet it all sounds good to my ears!

I'm going to go ahead an build up the rest of these single-ended RPI HAT boards. PM me if you're interested in a fully populated board.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20180218_165703631.jpg (159.3 KB, 288 views)
Old 26th February 2018, 06:51 PM   #70
stellarelephant is offline stellarelephant  United States
diyAudio Member

Congrats on your new baby, Matt.

If SQ stands up to the Allo Boss, you must be proud indeed. Have you listened to other NOS DACs before, like any based on 1543? I have read many subjective listening impressions of 1543 DACs, but haven't found much for 1387 yet.

You are generous to share your Gerber files. I have been itching to switch over from my Mac to a RPi as a source, and I want to give the NOS sound a try. I'm tired of the harsh treble of my oversampling DACs. This looks like a killer setup, and at an unbelievable value. What PSU are you feeding your Kali with?

tda1387 dac pcb "front end"Hide this!Advertise here!