Ebay DACs to cast an opinion

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi everyone. I've been reading some posts about DACs, and, to be honest, I'm totally lost. I need a DAC that won't go much over the 200$, and I read from some of you that this ebayer has some reputation around some of you.

Well, I looked into some of his products and I would really appreciate an opinion on this two:

ES9018DAC

DUAL PCM1794

ES9028PRO

Well, and some others that look nice to HERE

I would really appreciate some advice.

Regards,
David.

I bought and used a similar DIY ES9028Pro, it sounded very good and I am playing it right now, I suggest a few mods you can do,
1. change the output op amps if you can get better ones
2. use external USB to Coaxial convertor(Xmos) instead of internal one shown on the your ES9028pro, also powered it from an external linear power supply, you will find this will greatly improve the sound...

I bought and used a similar DIY ES9028Pro, it sounded very good and I am playing it right now, I suggest a few mods you can do,
1. change the output op amps if you can get better ones
2. use external USB to Coaxial convertor(Xmos) instead of internal one shown on the your ES9028pro, also powered it from an external linear power supply, you will find this will greatly improve the sound...

Can you recommend a usb to SPDIF convertor? I’ve been checking and they seem to cost quite a bit.

Hi everyone. I've been reading some posts about DACs, and, to be honest, I'm totally lost. I need a DAC that won't go much over the 200$, and I read from some of you that this ebayer has some reputation around some of you.

Well, I looked into some of his products and I would really appreciate an opinion on this two:

ES9018DAC

DUAL PCM1794

ES9028PRO

Well, and some others that look nice to HERE

I would really appreciate some advice.

Regards,
David.

https://www.aliexpress.com/store/pr...-DSD64-128-Amplifier/1264787_32271632691.html

I should apologize because I started this thread a bit in a rush. Well, I'm using a macbook with Audirvana Plus as software, because my raspberry pi with Mamboberry and reclocker did not satisfy me at all. I just connected the Macbook replacing the pi, and it is NIGHT AND DAY. My speakers are 3W classics from Troels Gravesen.

I would suggest you narrow the search; What are your requirements?
Sample rate, bit depth, number and type of outputs etc.

Well I need a DAC with RCA outputs only, to feed my F6, and I think the most convenient is an USB input, but I suppose SPDIF is also ok, just don't know how to change USB into SPDIF, and I don't want to spend millions on that. Sample rate? bit depth? I have flacs mostly. Some DSD. Some very nice SACDs that I converted into hi quality DSD. Sorry, I'm not an expert in these matters. I just convert my cds into flac for convenience.

I suggest you decide what kind of sound you like - typical 'digital' (hyper-detailed) or 'analog' (relaxing) and choose a DAC accordingly. Myself I go for the latter and there's only one example from your links - LITE PHILIPS TDA1543 X8 in parallel Hi-end Audio DAC Coaxial + fiber input

I like analog sound, but I want some dynamics. I listen to a lot o jazz music, but generaly I listen to every kind of music that I like. But some dynamics are very welcome, though no digital crisp metal sound.

The SMSL M8 would be an easy choice and an Amazon friendly purchase, but I have not read so many good reviews so I'm a bit reluctant. But it was on my list.

I recently came accross the Lampucera kits, that look nice, one of them with tubes, for not so much money (on ebay) without chassis, but I don't know much about them.

LAMPUCERA

LAMPUCERA + VALVES

Well, any more suggestions?

dabenza, I haven't heard any of those units you listed, but specification-wise, that ES9028PRO unit looks like the most DAC technology you can get at the lowest price I've seen. Feature-wise and price-wise, it's similar to the SMSL M8A (which is well reviewed) but the M8A has the lower spec ES9028Q2M chip, not the "PRO" chip. For US$268 it looks a very good deal.

use external USB to Coaxial convertor(Xmos) instead of internal one shown on the your ES9028pro
ttan98, I don't doubt that you have tested an external XMOS USB-s/pdif converter, yourself, and achieved better results than some other USB interface on your ES9028PRO, but I do doubt the logic of such a configuration, and I suggest that a far better solution for dabenza is to get a good USB decoder in the first place!

Let's go back a step for a moment - dabenza, you never mentioned what transport you will be using. In the absence of any mention of a "traditional" optical transport, nor a commercial media box such as an Apple TV, I will assume that you are playing back music from some form of computer. If this is not the case (and you really should have explained the situation in your first post) then please let us know.
So in the case of computer playback, USB connection to a DAC is the very best option, as long as you get a good USB decoder device ...
which brings us to that ES9028PRO DAC - I see the USB interface is not included in the price, and they suggest you can add an Amanero USB decoder. Most people say that the Amanero decoder is slightly better than an XMOS decoder, a few disagree, depending on the implementation. I don't think it matters, they're both very good.
Whatever USB interface you choose to add to your DAC, you should investigate its power configuration !!! By default, I understand that most of these USB interface boards are bus-powered, and you can improve their performance by disabling bus-power, instead taking 5VDC power from the DAC. And in the case of the ES9028PRO DAC, it certainly appears to have good power supplies.

So should you consider using a USB-s/pdif converter, then feed this to the s/pdif input of the ES9028PRO DAC?
Hell no!
If your transport is USB, a USB decoder converts to raw I2S digital audio. That's what the DAC needs. Just make sure your USB decoder is a good one.
To then convert this I2S signal to s/pdif (using a s/pdif transmitter circuit) is convoluted and illogical - the DAC will then need to (re)convert it back to I2S !

Use USB-s/pdif conversion ONLY if you already have an existing investment in a DAC which only accepts s/pdif.

I like analog sound, but I want some dynamics. I listen to a lot o jazz music, but generaly I listen to every kind of music that I like. But some dynamics are very welcome, though no digital crisp metal sound.

The Lite DAC-AH has output opamps though they're not used as I/V. Generally opamps are the enemy of dynamics unless you take a lot of care over their power and make sure there's no appreciable load they're being asked to drive. In this case though the power supplies are bog-standard (3 pin regs) and the AD847 opamps are not optimized for dynamics so I recommend modding.

I believe you! But only in your particular situation, of which the exact details of hardware and configuration have not been explained.
The USB-s/pdif converter was listed. That's a good start.
But what USB interface did the (unspecified) ES9028PRO DAC board originally have, which is being compared to?
What was the power supply regime for this USB interface?

There's no particular harm here, except that newcomers to this forum (and possibly dabenza) may interpret this individual circumstance to mean that universally, USB connections to a DAC are superior if via a s/pdif conversion.
This is incorrect, and is a disservice to everyone.

Hi Linuxfan, thanks for your detailed answer. I started this thread in a rush due to terrible imapatience of mine. I explained in a further post that I will be using a Macbook with Audirvana pro as sofware. Mostly flac and some dsd are used. Obviously, using USB into a DAC will be the easiest for me. I had a look into the smsl M8A as an easy and amazon friendly possibility. I have got a linear power supply rating 5V and 3A that might be used with the SMSL. The thing is that I've been reading failures in the previous version (M8) after some months of use, but I believe that is the case of only some units. Giving the situation, I'm thinking of trying the M8A, benefiting from Amazon Premium, trying it out with my external linear PSU (if you think 5V and 3A is the right one), and see how happy I am with it.

Regarding the USB to SPDIF conversion, I think the SMSL does this right inside the unit. I don't need anything else, as far as I understand it.

I've been DIYing in the passlabs forum, building my great Firstwatt F6, but I'm not ready for DAC diying. Just too complex and my wife is going to notice soon. That's why I need something just already built up.

Thank you so much to everyone of you.

I will be using a Macbook with Audirvana pro as sofware.
That's a nice setup.

I'm thinking of trying the M8A, benefiting from Amazon Premium, trying it out with my external linear PSU (if you think 5V and 3A is the right one)

Yes, that power supply is OK. The M8A specs say 5V, 0.35W. That's 1.75 amps.
In case I didn't explain it clearly, I think the along1986090 ES9028PRO is superior, spec-wise, but its base cost of US$268 + $50 for an Amanero or XMOS USB card will take the total cost way over your preferred budget.

I can't comment on Lampucera.

I believe you! But only in your particular situation, of which the exact details of hardware and configuration have not been explained.
The USB-s/pdif converter was listed. That's a good start.
But what USB interface did the (unspecified) ES9028PRO DAC board originally have, which is being compared to?
What was the power supply regime for this USB interface?

There's no particular harm here, except that newcomers to this forum (and possibly dabenza) may interpret this individual circumstance to mean that universally, USB connections to a DAC are superior if via a s/pdif conversion.
This is incorrect, and is a disservice to everyone.

Rather buying a built-in USB adapter (about US$40, if he buys the Chinese DIY ES9028pro) it is better to buy an external USB adapter(about US$60). He can make this decision, the external USB is clearly superior because I own both.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.