Which budget USB DAC under 200USD

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I took a look at the first two you suggest - the first one uses AK4390 and the second a Wolfson DAC chip (didn't search for its number, most likely WM874x). Note both those are sigma-delta types with on-chip opamps. When we get to Schiit (your third choice) there's a $249 option using a multibit DAC chip. The cheaper two are using sigma-delta.

The internal DAC of your laptop is also going to be sigma-delta. Given that my suggestions are multibit and Schiit charges a premium for that tech, do you reckon my suggestions will sound like your laptop?

If you'd like to spend more, there's this one - L1543DAC 16X并联TDA1543HiFi发烧解码器 再现TDA1541模拟味道-淘宝网全球站
Note for this it doesn't come standard with USB you need to add that as an option.

Last edited:
I am sorry. I just was advised not to buy any chinese DAC. A saw on a russian website a guy telling than any brand DAC will be better than chinese DAC with fancy chips inside, because of better overall circuit design and fine tuning. Hrmm. OK.

I take my time and do a little research.

Bear in mind you're asking on a DIY audio forum, not on an audiophile one. I would agree that Chinese DACs in general have their flaws, but they can be fixed up without too much effort. Take for example a DAC from the same designer as the ones I've just recommended - we take it apart (not just metaphorically) and reassemble it here : TDA1387 x8 DAC: let's check its design, mod it -or not-, play music -or not! :(-

You're getting a cheap product - for that money you don't get top-notch design. But you do get something that can teach you a fair amount about how to get good sound - that is if you're prepared to mod it and share your findings here.

I would agree not to be seduced by headlines of the latest fashion chip - TDA1543 is the antithesis of the 'latest and greatest' in DACs, given its a) old and out of production and b) only 16bits. There's general agreement though that its capable of a highly relaxing, enjoyable, non-digital style of sound.

Last edited:
Hi Insanoff, the HiFimeDIY products are not just any Chinese products. The origins are very experienced American DIY enthusiasts that started designing good sounding gear for the diy community. Like I said - you pay for quality sound, not a brand name. Sure - manufacturing is done in China, but you will be dealing with very friendly and efficient American staff. They have a warehouse in the UK too, which is where I got my DACs from.

But, yes - do a lot of research first.

Oh bummer, I better go throw away my DAC now, it was made in the wrong place again, I hate it when that happens!

That hifimediy dac looks like an ok deal for an end product that’s ready to go and all, and fairly small too. I don’t know how the “diy”part works though(?)

I took a look at the first two you suggest - the first one uses AK4390 and the second a Wolfson DAC chip (didn't search for its number, most likely WM874x). Note both those are sigma-delta types with on-chip opamps. When we get to Schiit (your third choice) there's a $249 option using a multibit DAC chip. The cheaper two are using sigma-delta.

The internal DAC of your laptop is also going to be sigma-delta. Given that my suggestions are multibit and Schiit charges a premium for that tech, do you reckon my suggestions will sound like your laptop?

If you'd like to spend more, there's this one - L1543DAC 16X并联TDA1543HiFi发烧解码器 再现TDA1541模拟味道-淘宝网全球站
Note for this it doesn't come standard with USB you need to add that as an option.
I am using Muse Audio 4xTDA1543 which I find very enjoyable. That 8xTDA1543 looks nice, especially with the linear PSU. How do you see an English page of that Taobao auction? Thanks.

Last edited:
OK. I am still learning. But at least I understood how wrong I was. DAC is really confusing topic.

I will continue my research. At the same time I would like to have something to play. I have read about TDA1543 and I have a feeling that I would love it.

What do you think folks? abraxalito do you think, L1543DAC could be a good starting point? Or maybe 8xTDA1543?

Joined 2008
Paid Member
OK. I am still learning. But at least I understood how wrong I was. DAC is really confusing topic.

I will continue my research. At the same time I would like to have something to play. I have read about TDA1543 and I have a feeling that I would love it.

What do you think folks? abraxalito do you think, L1543DAC could be a good starting point? Or maybe 8xTDA1543?

Abraxalito mentioned it earlier, but I wanted to bump it: TDA1387x8 (and here's the wiki for that dac). There's one on ebay now. Just make sure the transformers are right for your country's mains voltage.

That looks to be the same designer/maker as our tda1387x8. I need another DAC like I need a hole in my head, but... having trouble not getting one just for kicks. Abraxalito, what is your guess about how that tda1543x16 might compare to the tda1387x8? From the pics, looks like passive IV, but maybe with 16 DAC chips it doesn't matter. Makes me think of the TeraDak Chameleon, which (at least at one time) enjoyed some popularity and decent reviews.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.