Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Digital Line Level DACs, Digital Crossovers, Equalizers, etc.

Which budget USB DAC under 200USD
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 9th November 2017, 07:37 AM   #91
Insanoff is offline Insanoff  Azerbaijan
diyAudio Member

Guys, it seems my DAC is lost. Seller wan't solve the issue. Probably I will not receive it.
Old 9th November 2017, 07:41 AM   #92
abraxalito is offline abraxalito  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Location: Hangzhou - Marco Polo's 'most beautiful city'. 700yrs is a long time though...
Send a message via Yahoo to abraxalito
You can still DIY a very enjoyable DAC yourself - start off with one of Matt's PCBs from here - tda1387 dac pcb "front end"
Old 10th November 2017, 07:02 AM   #93
diyAudio Member

I am not going to give up know. It is difficult to communicate with chinese people in english. But I still hope that I can resolve the problem. At least seller has responded.
Old 11th November 2017, 12:21 PM   #94
Bigun is offline Bigun  Canada
diyAudio Member

I bought one of the ~$50 Hifimediy USB DACs a couple of years ago and found that it was a little strident for my ears. In reading around the issue is the power supply, it pulls it's 5V through the computer fed USB. An isolated supply may address it. Otherwise it was very good.

Some advice I found somewhere else which I thought sounded sensible:

posted by : watchnerd on head-fi.org in 2016

1. Implementation is just as important as the specific DAC chip technology. Don't pick something just because it has your favorite species of chip.

2. Remember that almost all modern recordings are made using Sigma-Delta AD converters before you get too crazy purist about the superiority of R2R (unless you're only going to listen to digital recordings from the last century, and no modern re-masterings).

3. R2R vs Delta-Sigma is most importantly about what a given designer is most comfortable with. They're both just tools, capable of glory or disaster in the right or wrong hands. If a designer does her best work using R2R, then you may have a solid reason for preferring R2R from that vendor (e.g. Schiit). On the other hand, if a given designer pushes the envelope of DS design, that's probably the better product from that vendor (e.g. NAD Master Series).

3. For R2R DACs that use DSP filters, the filter is really the secret sauce that has the biggest effect on the sound (aside from the analog output stage). There are real, measurable differences between IIR and FIR filters in the realm of phase and impulse response. How much this is audible is a different question. But it is real.

4. Except for the cheapest gear, old gear, or disastrously crappy connections, jitter is probably not worth worrying much about now. The difference between 500 picoseconds and 100 picoseconds of jitter in the audio band is more about epeen and bragging rights than anything audible.

5. Pay more attention to the analog stage than the chipset (unless you need/want DSD). A beefy analog stage with good power supply and isolation, coupled to a ho-hum DAC chip, will beat a razzle-dazzle expensive DAC chip coupled to a ho-hum analog stage.

6. DACs are not turntables or tape decks or tuners or other highly flawed, distorted, electromechanical analog sources, where the difference between the best and the worst is both huge and costly. $99 DACs can be perfectly listenable, regardless of chipset, with only minor flaws. The same wasn't true of budget tape decks or budget turntables. So keep things in perspective.
"The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test. If the machine produces tranquility it's right. If it disturbs you it's wrong until either the machine or your mind is changed." Robert M Pirsig.
Old 11th November 2017, 01:04 PM   #95
abraxalito is offline abraxalito  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Location: Hangzhou - Marco Polo's 'most beautiful city'. 700yrs is a long time though...
Send a message via Yahoo to abraxalito
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigun View Post
Some advice I found somewhere else which I thought sounded sensible:
I agree - a lot of sense there. But I would nit-pick on a few things.

1) 'watchnerd' uses R2R whereas in my view he should use the term 'multibit'. R2R is just one implementation of multibit.

2) In the case of discrete R2R designs the voltage reference stability under signal conditions is crucial. I'd argue its equally or perhaps more important than the details of the digital filter being used.

3) In the case of DSD, the analog stage is still very important. Filtering of ultrasonics is also an area to watch. Jitter is also very important with DSD, much less so with multibit PCM.
Old 16th November 2017, 08:44 PM   #96
SelTheDon is offline SelTheDon
diyAudio Member

To add to this;

NE9032 ES9028Q2M ES9028 I2S INPUT DECAY BOARD MILL BOARD DAC UPDATE ES9018-in Amplifier from Consumer Electronics on Aliexpress.com | Alibaba Group

Too good to be true? Up to DSD 512 compatible too (apparently).

Last edited by SelTheDon; 16th November 2017 at 08:58 PM.
Old 29th November 2017, 03:42 PM   #97
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by abraxalito View Post
You can still DIY a very enjoyable DAC yourself - start off with one of Matt's PCBs from here - tda1387 dac pcb "front end"
I have received my DAC. I am going to create another thread soon to start my DAC mod journey.

P.S. It sounds out of the box quite terrible though.

P.P.S. But highs are definitely clear.

Last edited by Insanoff; 29th November 2017 at 04:03 PM.
Old 29th November 2017, 03:57 PM   #98
Nag is offline Nag  India
diyAudio Member

Now a days too many Chinese DAC's under budget 150$
1.Ak4495
2.es9018k2m
3.es9028q2m
4.AK4490
Can any one tell me which DAC chip is good.
Old 29th November 2017, 10:22 PM   #99
phase is offline phase  United States
diyAudio Member

I would believe that any of those chips could be made to surpass your highest expectations, however, the boards that are available will widely vary.
I am very happy with my ak4495 board;
Assembled XMOS U8 Ak4495seq Ad827 DAC USB Decoder Board | eBay
Old 29th November 2017, 11:24 PM   #100
synonymous is offline synonymous  United States
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to synonymous
Rpi $35
DAC $50

I've got mine a diy that I designed myself using all through hole parts except for the PCM 5122 DAC itself. About 1inch square. Hardware volume too. Gerbers if you want em

Which budget USB DAC under 200USDHide this!Advertise here!