How do I use both FIR and IIR filters in NAJDA setup?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
So decimation requires specific hardware that can accommodate this? It's not JUST the filter itself?

You need software that can do the resampling/decimation along with the FIR convolution on multiple channels and then output to a multichannel DAC. A PC with the right software should be able to do this easily. Acourate, Bodzio UE, Audio Weaver, etc are commercial products that can do this. Does anyone know of similar freeware?

A standalone piece of hardware would need to have this capability programmed into it's firmware (what we have been waiting for in vain from NAJDA)

So decimation requires specific hardware that can accommodate this? It's not JUST the filter itself?
Hardware or software but the principal is reducing the sample rate on the channels that carry only low frequency information. The filter needs to be created at that sample rate but it needs more than just a low sample rate filter.

Acourate, Bodzio UE, Audio Weaver, etc are commercial products that can do this. Does anyone know of similar freeware?
It doesn't make sense in a computer based system unless you are looking to use more than eight channels of very long FIR filters, probably why it isn't very popular. Using minimum phase to do the heavy lifting and then shorter FIR filters to undue the phase wrap uses much less resources.

Using minimum phase to do the heavy lifting and then shorter FIR filters to undue the phase wrap uses much less resources.

Yes this seems like the most efficient way to allocate processing power, but if a particular DSP/DAC unit won't allow IIR+FIR filters (and decimation) then you need a computer upstream anyway to perform the convolution. Why not just do it all at the PC and use a multichannel soundcard? I have not seen (for a reasonable price) a product that can handle IIR+FIR for a linear phase 4-way system.

For stereo music chaining two hardware devices together can be a solution, using something like one of the Minidsp sharc boxes or kits on the input to do the phase processing outputting to another box to do the IIR crossover etc. Using a smaller number of taps for phase correction only would result in lower latency which might be important for some.

If there is any kind of reasonable computer available as the player then it makes sense to use that to do all the processing. The only reasons not to is because you don't want to use a computer or you need low latency.

Just as an aside, I'm a Mac user, and I'm wondering whether there's any standalone software convolver or DSP engine that can import FIR filters and output the processed (two channel) audio to the operating system – freeing me up to use any music player upstream of the processor that I want. (I don't want to use iTunes or any of the bloated players that host audio plug-ins and rely on loading from the iTunes library.)

I know I could use Dirac (and I'm pretty tempted to be honest) but I was wondering whether there's anything more universal that allows the import of user designed FIR filters.

You can use AU Lab to host plugins and Soundflower to redirect the audio stream from whichever player you choose.

This is a free AU convolver
Lernvall Audio

Or you could use a VST convolver in a wrapper

There were a couple of things that made me scratch my head but I have the same setup running on my Macbook to allow me to feed EQ into the output from REW when measuring speakers.

There are always the fancier Mac programs like Pure Music or Sonic Studio but they seem expensive to me.

Jriver has a Mac version too and that has built in DSP and convolution.

Jriver is the best player I have found for music so far but if you need any help getting AU lab and Soundflower working let me know.

The most elegant solution is to use a player with built in DSP engine.

Jriver does that well for me. Pure Music has the same.

AU lab is minimal but you can load and chain whatever plugins you want. What more do you want it to do?

No need for itunes unless you want that to be the player. I don't know of any player that would force you to use the itunes library if you didn't want to.

Player>Soundflower>AULab

Soundflower sits in the background and is just like selecting another soundcard in the player and plugin host.

PS: Dirac is not that flexible in that you can't change anything other than the target response.

Last edited:
I find the best solution to that is to use an app to control playback and library functions. There are a couple for Jriver that I quite like, JRemote and EOS. I also like the Apple remote app and have used that to control Foobar on windows.

The apps look better and are easier to use to me anyway.

I find the best solution to that is to use an app to control playback and library functions. There are a couple for Jriver that I quite like, JRemote and EOS. I also like the Apple remote app and have used that to control Foobar on windows.

The apps look better and are easier to use to me anyway.

That hadn't occurred to me! Will check it out. Thanks!

Biquads

Hi all

i am trying to import biquads from REW to Najda. I have used a generic eq in REW and have checked 96kHz as sampling frequency.

This is my exported file:

Code:
biquad1,
b0=1.0,
b1=0.0,
b2=0.0,
a1=0.0,
a2=0.0,
biquad2,
b0=0.9990533854262882,
b1=-1.9965312502634536,
b2=0.9975250114537477,
a1=1.9965312502634536,
a2=-0.9965783968800359

If i try to import i get an Error: invalid File ;(

Greetings

Christian

Hi all

i am trying to import biquads from REW to Najda. I have used a generic eq in REW and have checked 96kHz as sampling frequency.

This is my exported file:

Code:
biquad1,
b0=1.0,
b1=0.0,
b2=0.0,
a1=0.0,
a2=0.0,
biquad2,
b0=0.9990533854262882,
b1=-1.9965312502634536,
b2=0.9975250114537477,
a1=1.9965312502634536,
a2=-0.9965783968800359

If i try to import i get an Error: invalid File ;(

Greetings

Christian

Did you find your answer? It is addressed on page 14 of the manual here: https://web.archive.org/web/20160315195113/http://waf-audio.com/doc/Najda/Najda_Under_Control_Manual.pdf

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.