STReg - where to put Gout? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Line Level
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Gallery Wiki Blogs Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Digital Line Level DACs, Digital Crossovers, Equalizers, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 19th June 2017, 09:32 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default STReg - where to put Gout?

This is a post of last resort as I am completely frustrated by my inability to work this out for myself after many hours!

I am currently working on a DAC project.

The receiver is a little SPDIF to I2S board using AK4113. The +5v is feed from its own transformer, rectifiers, smoothing caps to Superteddyreg. The +ve and -ve return from PSU both go to their place at the base of the STR. Vout goes to the 5v input of the receiver board.

The DAC is donor board from old Arcam Alpha. The receiver feeds BCK, DATA, WS/LE and GND to DAC board. So the receiver board and PSU is completely separate from other parts of the DAC. The DAC board has its own transformer and PSU.

Problem = where to attach power Gnd from the receiver board?

When I bring it back to -ve return of STR (I have tried several places) the STR shorts out (ie. LED goes off). Tried a few other places as well.

Any help much appreciated.

Last edited by sthcoaster; 19th June 2017 at 10:11 AM.
Old 20th June 2017, 08:14 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sthcoaster View Post
This is a post of last resort as I am completely frustrated by my inability to work this out for myself after many hours!

I am currently working on a DAC project.

The receiver is a little SPDIF to I2S board using AK4113. The +5v is feed from its own transformer, rectifiers, smoothing caps to Superteddyreg. The +ve and -ve return from PSU both go to their place at the base of the STR. Vout goes to the 5v input of the receiver board.

The DAC is donor board from old Arcam Alpha. The receiver feeds BCK, DATA, WS/LE and GND to DAC board. So the receiver board and PSU is completely separate from other parts of the DAC. The DAC board has its own transformer and PSU.

Problem = where to attach power Gnd from the receiver board?

When I bring it back to -ve return of STR (I have tried several places) the STR shorts out (ie. LED goes off). Tried a few other places as well.

Any help much appreciated.
Amateur hour continues.

I think I have solved this - can't just go poking the Gnd return anywhere while the unit is all switched on > but fixing it in place while the unit is off to exactly where I have always thought it should go ... well that's the business. However, in the meantime I lifted some solder tabs off the LCD that goes with this receiver and that is now on the blink until I remedy it

Hide this!Advertise here!