Beginner DIY dac recommendation - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Line Level
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Gallery Wiki Blogs Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Digital Line Level DACs, Digital Crossovers, Equalizers, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 13th May 2017, 04:46 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Arrow Beginner DIY dac recommendation

Hi im new in the DIY community and i want to try putting a dac together. I have not tried soldering on a pcb but i would like to try. Can you recommend a kit my budget is 100 usd. The kit should include pcb, components and it shall work with 230 volt. It would be nice if a case was included.
Old 13th May 2017, 11:28 PM   #2
ttan98 is offline ttan98  Australia
diyAudio Member

Hi,
Recently I built 2 DACs one based on EX9028Pro and the other on AK4490 dual chip set. I think the former is slightly above your budget whereas the latter is within your budget. You can get this DAC board from here:
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/New-...9-f3ec2c59797b

On top of that you to buy these parts:
1. Transformers, you maybe able to buy it from this supplier as well
2. A Case to house it
I assume you can put the parts together and make them to work, if not ask a friend, it's not that hard.

To improve the sound:
1. Change the output opamp, if you decide to purchase this board I will tell you which Opamp to buy.
2. Use twin transformers instead of single one(Optional)

Hope this helps. The sound I get is really quite good for the price you pay, I have built many DACs before this is one of the better ones and very good value for money.
Old 14th May 2017, 06:36 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Thank you for the recommendation and the advice. I think about and if i decide to buy it i tell you.
Old 14th May 2017, 06:40 PM   #4
AlexQS is online now AlexQS  United States
diyAudio Member

About 5 years ago I had never soldered on a pcb. Before my first amp project, I bought a $3 pcb that included some resistors, LEDs and a few simple things to solder. It was good to practice on something cheap like that.

Since then I've upgraded my solder iron, and I've built 6 channels worth of amplifiers and preamps too. I'm thinking about soldering my first DAC soon. I have no experience soldering SMD components, but a lot of them have that part done, and the end user has only through-hole parts to solder. It's fun!
Old 14th May 2017, 06:46 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Thank you for your reply that sounds like a good idea i think i try that before starting soldering the dac

Hide this!Advertise here!