ClearPath: another ESS DAC project

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
DoP and DoPE decoding

I added DoP and DoPE decoder into FPGA. Now the DAC is capable to play DSD64 and DSD128 from USB and DLNA interfaces. The decoding process is done directly into FPGA. That it is independent from the DAC chip and it works with both the ES9018 and the ES9038.

So you decode the DSD input to PCM in the FPGA and then feed this to the ESS 9018?
But the ESS9018 converts DSD to PCM, isn't it better to let the ESS9018 do this conversion?

Hi bsy020,
I decode the DoP encoded stream, and under no circumstances I touch the original DSD stream. DoP is an industry open standard and letterally it means DSD over PCM. It allows you to play pure DSD files (.dff, .dsf) on a compliant DoP DAC via a PCM stream. This stream is no longer a stream that contains PCM samples, but is a stream that contains the original, and untouched, DSD bitstream, plus other data useful to recognize it as a DoP stream. Obviousely in order to play DSD files in this way, you need a player or a media server capable to encode the dsd file in a DoP stream.
So, all I do is to recognize and decode the DoP stream into the original DSD bitstream and route it to the DAC chip capable to play DSD.
As you know, all the ES90xx DAC chips are capable to play DSD stream (although they are not pure DSD dac, so they need an internal conversion from DSD to PCM).

For more information on DoP, see http://dsd-guide.com/sites/default/files/white-papers/DoP_openStandard_1v1.pdf

Kind regards,
Isidoro

Board gerber files and part list

Hi 2wice,

sorry for my late reply. I made some small improvement to the routing of the board.
I'm unable to send you the files due to the size limits of the attachments.
So please send me via private message an your email address where I can send you the files.

Bye,
Isidoro

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.