6x TDA543 DAC USB Parallel Fever audio decoder

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
It's $19 USD (+ about $2 s/h) from AliExpress.

It's running a fever (hot!!) so I guess that's what the heat-sink is for.

Not much detail in the description.

Anyone guess what the decoder chip may be?

HIFI-6X-font-b-TDA1543-b-font-Parallel-Fever-Audio-Decoder-font-b-DAC-b-font.jpg

BTW: Aliexpress also has 4X TDA1543 version (about 60 cents cheaper)...

Fever-4-decoder-and-font-b-TDA1543-b-font-USB-external-sound-card-phone-tablet-otg.jpg

Again, curious about the decoder IC.

Anyone care to guess?

Thx!

Wow -- the date on that datasheet for the CM 108 is Feb 2007. And those TDA1543s are from the early 1990s.
With the USB controller, there may be ways to tweak its performance by hacking the firmware. Supposedly, that's what Gordon Rankin did with his Streamlength firmware for the ancient TAS1020B (USB decoder chip).

Nice to hear the Fever DAC sounds good.

USB, etc.

Hi , I read that interview of Gordon : Q&A With Wavelength Audio's Gordon Rankin | AudioStream .

Great guy . I don't have the knowledge to do the tenth what he did .
I'm not sure how great or awesome Streamlength (asynchronous mode USB) really is?? Rankin found a hack for the TAS1020B -- one that was not so easy to pull off.
That was 8-10 years ago.
Since then, other manuf. have used the same TAS1020B chip with their own firmware.
And some have used Tenor or Savitech decoders with adaptive mode isosynchronous. [Also see this XMOS page for their opinion]

Indeed, about 1 1/2 years ago, JarekC and I discussed this issue at some length in this thread.
The CM108 is isochronous , is it ?
Probably. Most of the "older" USB decoders were isoch. by default (like the default/unhacked TAS1020).

Not sure about newer USB decoders (XMOS, Savitech, Tenor, etc.)?? Can they (finally) be easily reconfigured by the end use for synch/asynch., etc.
I found that little card with 6x1543 sounds very close to a DAC AH well tweaked . I have also a stock Soekris that I don't like , a 1x1543 , a 4x1543 , a 16x1543.... I like 1543 .
Interesting that you prefer the 1543 over Soekris.
In any case, if you've hung out here at DIYA for over 10 years, you may recall that the 1543 has sort of a cult following. The 1543 was meant to be an 'Economy' DAC. But DIYers found that certain implementations yield promising results. perhaps the most famous is the parallel NOS DDDAC by Doede Douma:
Description of the DDDAC1543 project
The 1543 also made it into H-Fi Man's 602 portable DAP.

Hi Hollowman ,

" In any case, if you've hung out here at DIYA for over 10 years, you may recall that the 1543 has sort of a cult following " .

yes , i used to follow more or less . It makes me look back to this saga fot my profit .

My Soekris DAC is stock . I din't even modified the filter yet. Anyway , maybe my PS implementation is not so good ... ( 78/79xx ) .

My 1x1543 is equipped with another USB receiver yet : PCM2704 .

http://www.ti.com/lit/ds/symlink/pcm2707.pdf

regards ,

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.