8 channel USB sound card/DAC?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I'm looking to use a PC active DSP setup, and now I need a 8 channel USB sound card or DAC. Amazingly, the only one I've found so far is the Asus Xonar U7. I think that's great, except I wish it had an Toslink input.

Is there another 8 channel USB sound card out there or a 8 channel DAC that isn't over $500? It does not have to have a Toslink input, however that would be nice.

Partner this DAC with the matching DIYINHK multichannel USB->i2s interface to provide input. That's probably your cheapest USB/DAC 8 channel solution.

Soundcards are much more common and easier. Any 7.1 USB or PCi card should do. You could even use HDMI and an audio extractor or HDMI straight to a receiver. Toslink connections aren't going to be much use as you won't get 8 channels of uncompressed audio down that (unless you use multiple Toslink outputs but good luck finding such a device).

I like the miniDSP U-DAC8 suggestion. I may get the nanoAVR HDA instead so I can get a remote for volume control. Need to verify if they have the same DAC performance. It seems to use the same DAC chip.

The Focusrite Scarlett 18i20 is too big. The Focusrite Scarlett 18i8 would be perfect if it can do 8 channel out simultaneously. I really like it has an optical and analog input as well, which I need, and I have to get a separate card in order to get these inputs.

The DIYINHK option looks good, but making a case for it would be very time consuming and expensive. I prefer not to DIY if possible.

I ended up just buying the Asus Xonar U7. A few reasons.

It was really just a choice between the U7 and the MiniDSP U-DAC8. The rest are excluded because it is far too big even though their feature set is excellent. This is a portable setup.

1. The Cirrus Logic CS4398/CS4362 DAC chip on the U7 seems to be rather high end, especially since the CS4398 is their flagship DAC. The U-DAC8's AKM AK4440 seems to be a midrange DAC chip at best usually used in DVD players. I know a SNR ratio isn't a strong indicator of performance, but the 105dB SNR is very low and raises an eyebrow. It doesn't scream high performance. 3x the price with a far inferior DAC chip? No thanks

2. The U7 is smaller and more feature rich. There is a line input on the U7. I really need that since I'm using this on a Intel NUC as a PC DSP. The line in is my input. With the U-DAC8, I would need another device to handle input. The U-DAC8 is physically much bigger AND requires a second device. The U7 easily wins

3. The U7 can be powered off a USB port. The U-DAC8 needs a wall plug. Less cables = better.

So in the end, it was clear the Asus Xonar U7 is the DAC to get. It has higher performance, smaller size, more functionality, less cable mess, AND it is 1/3rd of the price. It is a no brainer.

Have ordered this+xmos-card with 2 regulated power supply boards from same source some months ago. All costs about 250$. Exchanged only the op-amps. now using lm49720. extreme clear and phantastic soundstage on 8 channels:) i´m the happiest man in the universe:D

Hi good to know it all worked and the sound is great. Did you compare it against something, like a Asus Soundcard for example?
Could you share a picture of your built? Which X-mos card did you buy and which drivers? How do you play back, by Jriver for example or?

Thanks really appreciate your contribution in advance,

with kind regards Fred.

Have ordered this+xmos-card with 2 regulated power supply boards from same source some months ago. All costs about 250$. Exchanged only the op-amps. now using lm49720. extreme clear and phantastic soundstage on 8 channels:) i´m the happiest man in the universe:D

Hi Could you be a bit more exact what you bought? 8 channel board I understand, but which xmos card an which power supply?

Thanks.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.