BluWave USB-to-SPDIF bridge, "a miniature beauty"

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
After playing tracks through BluWave for several weeks now using Windows 10 I'm very impressed with sound quality. Occasionally though, once or twice on each track, there is a crackling noise that sounds like static, the type of static noise you used to get when playing a vinyl disc. It isn't very loud but it is distinct and easily audible - not present when using WaveIO.

Any ideas?

Bob

I noticed that too - doesn't happen often and I thought that was something with the files, but now that you brought this I wanted to report that too. Exactly the same description - faint static-like crackles....

Thank you for your posting and feedbacks! I'm still digging in for the issue and I might find a clue of this whole trouble (for both Windows and Linux)!
At first I thought it was something related to USB GND and USB Shield voltage difference even though BluWave's schematic is not far from reference design made by XMOS, at least when it comes to USB GND <=> Shield connections but later on I found out a sad truth: it might be possible that the 'budget-priced' isolator I've chosen for this project to be way too jittery for the whole thing to work as expected.

So far I ran a couple of tests with a similar isolator (made by another company) and on Ubuntu 14.04 or so and all went okay! The 16.04 is still causing troubles but I'm planning to test Ubuntu 12.?? and 17.?? and make a clear opinion on this matter. Might be something in kernel but don't know exactly yet!

Obviously that I'll not leave this issue unsolved so I'll get back to you as soon as I'll have a clear answer (at least as clear as I can offer).

Kind regards,
L

Thank you for your posting and feedbacks! I'm still digging in for the issue and I might find a clue of this whole trouble (for both Windows and Linux)!
At first I thought it was something related to USB GND and USB Shield voltage difference even though BluWave's schematic is not far from reference design made by XMOS, at least when it comes to USB GND <=> Shield connections but later on I found out a sad truth: it might be possible that the 'budget-priced' isolator I've chosen for this project to be way too jittery for the whole thing to work as expected.

So far I ran a couple of tests with a similar isolator (made by another company) and on Ubuntu 14.04 or so and all went okay! The 16.04 is still causing troubles but I'm planning to test Ubuntu 12.?? and 17.?? and make a clear opinion on this matter. Might be something in kernel but don't know exactly yet!

Obviously that I'll not leave this issue unsolved so I'll get back to you as soon as I'll have a clear answer (at least as clear as I can offer).

Kind regards,
L

Thank you for replying so quickly. I was just about to solder a 10nF cap onto BluWave but your post stopped me. I'll wait until you've found out what the problem is before doing anything.

Bob

Lorien

Thanks for the rapid response, hopefully the solution will be found.

Meant to ask before, but here it is now (might be connected to this clicking...or not): any recommendations as to the buffer settings (the USB streaming mode and ASIO buffer size)?

FWIW, using the latest Asio4all version 2.14

Lucian,

There are several options provided by Windows 10 for BluWave and WaveIO USB sound drivers - ASIO, WASAPI, Window DirectSound, WDM-KS and MME at least some of which, if not all, seem to be provided by the Audiokit v4.11 package. All are associated with either BluWave or WaveIO and in some cases both - there are in fact five different options available. I have been using WaveIO ASIO but I have read that there are (can be?) advantages to using WASAPI and that even WDS is good on Windows 10.

Of the five available options, which is the right or indeed the best driver to use?

I think many BluWave/WaveIO users will have seen these different options but may be confused as to which one is best. I know I am!

Bob

@ Bob: I was told by Thesycon to stick with their ASIO. I have no idea if this was simply a marketing decision to keep me as their client or they really want to help me! I incline to believe the second option as we have now a quite a long professional relationship. Out of curiosity in recent past I even tried Microsoft's WDS driver but it acted weirdly on my old laptop so I gave up. My feeling was that it's not 'ready' yet! Obviously that it was directly compared to Thesycon's alternative. I'm hoping MS driver will improve in the future but for now - based on my experience with it - I don't recommend it! At least not yet!

@ Bob: I was told by Thesycon to stick with their ASIO. I have no idea if this was simply a marketing decision to keep me as their client or they really want to help me! I incline to believe the second option as we have now a quite a long professional relationship. Out of curiosity in recent past I even tried Microsoft's WDS driver but it acted weirdly on my old laptop so I gave up. My feeling was that it's not 'ready' yet! Obviously that it was directly compared to Thesycon's alternative. I'm hoping MS driver will improve in the future but for now - based on my experience with it - I don't recommend it! At least not yet!

I guessed that might be the case. After some reading around on the subject it is mentioned a few times that some software suppliers 'tune' their ASIO driver to get the best out of their hardware. I'll stay with the ASIO driver anyway but may experiment when I get time.

Bob

I guessed that might be the case. After some reading around on the subject it is mentioned a few times that some software suppliers 'tune' their ASIO driver to get the best out of their hardware. I'll stay with the ASIO driver anyway but may experiment when I get time.

Bob
What program do you use to enable the asio driver?
I use jriver with audiokit asio driver enabled and have selected low latency and auto for buffer setting

What program do you use to enable the asio driver?
I use jriver with audiokit asio driver enabled and have selected low latency and auto for buffer setting

I use a program called SqueezeLite Tray which runs a software player called squeezelite. It's designed as a player to run in conjunction with Logitech Media Server (LMS). SqueezeLite Tray uses a function of squeezelite to list and select any of the available sound drivers and Audiokit ASIO is one of them. I've had a look at jriver and it does look flexible but I prefer LMS (which is free). I don't use LMS because it's free but because it doesn't rely on DLNA or UPnP, it uses its own protocols to achieve the type of flexibility I want - it has lots of plugins available as well.

Kind regards,
L
Hi have you found more about the issue with the cheap isolator maybe causing high crackling sound sometimes when starting a high res track I Tidal.

Do you think it is possible to replace the isolator or make a firmware update?

Have anyone put their Bluwave board in a small closed Aluminium box and is it then necessary with air holes?
The

I have mine in such a box and the only hole in it is a cut-out for the USB port. The heat sinks, particularly the larger one, get quite warm but not so much as to be too hot to touch. The case can become slightly warm to the touch but I've not had any problems with overheating.

Bob

I have tested Bluwave on another windows 7 64bit laptop with Tidal master recordings, still very high crackling to start with and changing between numbers.

Lorien can you do some more investigation with this issue?

You have released new firmware to your WaveIO board what about the Bluwave?

Thx

still very high crackling to start with and changing between numbers
Hello Kim,
can you be more specific on this?

You have released new firmware to your WaveIO board what about the Bluwave?
Bluwave does have several versions too, if I remember correctly, most of them has addressed a delay to allow changing frequencies of the main oscillators between sample rates.
Anyway, this issue is on my table now and tomorrow I have plans to ship out some of the BluWaves with isolator changed. I have no idea what will be the result on the owner's side. Here, I simply stood still for hours and listen to some of my music trying to hear those nasty clicks but heard none.
Perhaps it simply was me, the one who didn't wanted to hear the issue again... :eek: or is finally solved! I don't know! We'll see!

I really hope it will fix something but I'm sure that some of you will report back if those clicks are gone or not.

Hello Kim,

Bluwave does have several versions too, if I remember correctly, most of them has addressed a delay to allow changing frequencies of the main oscillators between sample rates.
Anyway, this issue is on my table now and tomorrow I have plans to ship out some of the BluWaves with isolator changed. I have no idea what will be the result on the owner's side. Here, I simply stood still for hours and listen to some of my music trying to hear those nasty clicks but heard none.
Perhaps it simply was me, the one who didn't wanted to hear the issue again... :eek: or is finally solved! I don't know! We'll see!

I really hope it will fix something but I'm sure that some of you will report back if those clicks are gone or not.

Hello Kim,

I am using Tidal Master recordings (Exclusive mode and Force volume selected in Tidal settings) on my windows 7 Laptop 64bit PC.
Examples for Master albums I am listen too are:
"2L audiophile Recordings or Pink Floyd The division Bell"
You can hear about every 10-20 sec click......click......click...... and often when you start a new track or album you get a high distortion or the Bluwave disconnect.

This is also happening with Jriver installed - no problems when using "the default sound device, tested on several pc´s
Please help Lorien can you test this at your place with a board like mine and with the new Isolator mounted?

Thx

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.