BluWave USB-to-SPDIF bridge, "a miniature beauty"

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello Fabrice,
preliminary data readings regarding power consumption of BluWave board are as follows:

1. Card plugged in, current in idle mode after 200 samples taken in about two minutes @ 22.5 degree Celsius:
Minimum current value: 0.347515 A
Average current value: 0.350367 A
Maximum current value: 0.353223 A

2. Card plugged in, playing a track @ 44.1 kHz sample rate having a length of 9 min and 15 seconds:
Minimum current value: 0.355555 A
Average current value: 0.355640 A
Maximum current value: 0.355767 A

3. Card plugged in, playing a track @ 48 kHz sample rate having a length of 9 min and 15 seconds:
Minimum current value: 0.355900 A
Average current value: 0.356005 A
Maximum current value: 0.356080 A

4. Card plugged in, playing a track @ 88.2 kHz sample rate having a length of 9 min and 15 seconds:
Minimum current value: 0.353209 A
Average current value: 0.353266 A
Maximum current value: 0.353327 A

5. Card plugged in, playing a track @ 96 kHz sample rate having a length of 9 min and 15 seconds:
Minimum current value: 0.353340 A
Average current value: 0.353444 A
Maximum current value: 0.353527 A

6. Card plugged in, playing a track @ 176.4 kHz sample rate having a length of 9 min and 15 seconds:
Minimum current value: 0.353456 A
Average current value: 0.353514 A
Maximum current value: 0.353559 A

7. Card plugged in, playing a track @ 192 kHz sample rate having a length of 9 min and 15 seconds:
Minimum current value: 0.353599 A
Average current value: 0.353664 A
Maximum current value: 0.353717 A

All above measurements were taken with the output SPDIF stage directly wired to USB bus thus that ~10 mA current which is needed to power up the output side is INCLUDED in values listed above.
I hope it helps,
Lucian

EDIT: after the planned HW changes I'll remake above measurements with a dedicated PSU and measurement tool. Anyway, I expect the above values to change slightly since the HW upgrades will be minimal.

Last edited:
Hi everyone ,

i receive the board last week , and fit it into my setup .

i previously use an CM 6631A board which was working good.

i powered the spdif side with an 1.5 A Lipo battery , and the usb is powered by the PC.

i tried to powered the usb side with another low noise psu having an usb cable with no 5v in it , but it doesn't not work , i will make some other try's .

my first listening impressions : this board make the job and it make it pretty well , more details , wider stage , even some more dynamic , something like an "finer" sound especially in the mid and the high .

my setup is as follow :

computer ..... BlueWawe ....Philips IS-5021 ( well tweaked ).....Pass F6.....Triangle zerius ( first make ) .

it is well worth the price , the board is very well made , an professional work indeed .

an special Thanks to Lorian for his great job ;)

Thank you very much Fabrice! :) I'm doing my best! Still, I'm curious why you couldn't make the USB side of your BluWave working with external PSU! Basically, it wasn't detected by your PC or were other type of issues? Let's see if I can help you on this!
On another hand, please burn in your card for a couple of hours since I did nothing of that here!
Kind regards,
L

Hi Lorian ,

when i feed the usb side with external 5V , it is not detected by the PC , I even tried to connect the +5 v directly at the usb socket under the board , it does not work either .

the usb cable i use in that case , has data +, data - and the socket ground , it was working with the CM6631A board .

I should have miss something !! ;-)

Let's try this way:
1. obviously that USB Data + and USB Data - should be leaved "as is".
2. The USB 5V on your USB cable should be connected only to your PSU so cut it from your PC.
3. GND: here's the trouble! Initially many think that it should be cut from PC but it's wrong because due enumeration process boards are not detected if there's no GND connection present between PC and BluWave. Don't ask me why, smarter guys will be able to explain you. The bottom line is that BluWave GND connection will have to go to your external PSU (to close in the loop and properly power your BluWave) AND to your PC (to allow USB enumeration).

Despite the fact that GND from PC should be cut /left aside to keep the noise there, you should keep it to see you BluWave working.

Can you try it and report back your progress?
L

I modified my old cable , just ad the reference ground using the shied , i will make an completely new cable later on , i have to order some good cable from Sommercable.

it works good , as you said the board need the reference ground to work , i will compare the sound this evening when there is no parasitic sound around .

thanks for your help ;-)

Last edited:
i will compare the sound this evening when there is no parasitic sound around
I hope than parasitic sound is not from BluWave :p
Seriously now, there's something that I guess you should know regarding power sequencing of this board even though I doubt that it will affect you since SPDIF side of your BluWave is running on batteries: in case that you'll power up the USB side before SPDIF side the it might be possible your PC will not be able to send out music to your BluWave. To solve this small problem you just have to unplug and plug back your USB cable. The other path would be to power cycle the USB side of your BluWave even though I don't kinda like this option.
On next - close future - PCB release this "unforeseen side event" will be fixed.
Kind regards,
L

the good powering sequence here , is : first SPDIF and then USB , it work's fine every time ;-)

it's difficult to find real differences between usb side self powered and usb side with linear supply , its seems to be "clearer" the second way , so I will keep the system as it is now

USB side powered by linear supply (ADM 7150 ) and , SPDIF side powered by LIPO battery.

Hi Emil! I saw your PM but with your permission I would like to build up a second small GB here (since its easier for me to follow it up) and put your nick name on the list.
So far, from the next batch of 12 boards, three are already reserved, excluding yours. Anyone else who want this can update the list accordingly:

1. Reserved - 3 pcs.
2. Draki - 1 pc.

Kind regards,
L

Any one have problem running Blue wave on linux? Good to know it is software or hardware issue. I have reported to Lorien about this, but no answer atm. This is, a part of my message and link to mp3 file to hear:
"Sometimes, but not always its play distorted sound, after restarting playback sound is ok. I use Russians designed tinympd linux. But seems it have same problem in other linux versions too. I tried snakeoil-os. Same as in tinymp, you need to restart playback. On the ubuntu-studio it always plays distorted. But maybe my linux skills for ubuntu not so good to fix the problem. Waveio works without any problem with any tinympd and snakeoil. It is little boring".
https://yadi.sk/d/4wdLuFBy3HUsG7
Playback restarted at 31s and 36s.

Hi Northernwind. I'm also having trouble with the bluewave board to work properly with linux.
No luck with squeezeplay at all and limited success with mpd. When connecting the
the waveio, everything is working flawless though...

The linux is installed on either a wandboard dual or odroid c2. The issues are:
- static tick sound every few seconds (at irregular interval)
- sending the wrong speed to the dac, causing songs to play to slow or to fast. This happens when changing sampling frequencies between songs.
- when changing sample rate between songs, the sound sounds very distorted. Only stop, wait a couple of seconds, start again sometimes mitigates this issue.

When connecting to a windows machine with foobar, most issues are gone, only a sporadic static discharge sound occurs.

I hope these issues can be resolved, because when it works correctly, it sounds wonderfull!

Last edited:
Hmm... I wasn't announced there are a couple of new posts on this thread.... I have to check it more often! :confused:
@ Northernwind and audionootje: I'm sorry for all your troubles on linux! As I said previously, there are some key differences between WaveIO and BluWave and I was, kinda, expecting such troubles (?).
I might have a theory regarding your problem but before saying what's all about I want to remind you the most important thing: WaveIO doesn't have the oscillators isolated from USB receiver / processor side like BluWave do. This is a good thing when we speak about noise but it does have its own drawbacks:
1. You might encounter errors if output/SPDIF side is not powered but you plug in the BluWave into USB port (this one will be fixed with Rev 1.1 HW).
2. There are some delays regarding signals - which all have to pass through the isolation to get where is needed. (I hope I'll have a firmware fix for this one!)
3. New things that are not found yet (not that I wish to live those moments).

What I'm assuming to be the source of your trouble: because of (2), the delay between the USB receiver and oscillators is bigger than on WaveIO.
On BluWave, the path for changing sample rate (on different frequency family) is this one:
XMOS control pin (to change MCLK frequency) => isolator => enable pin of desired 'audio' NDK oscillator => oscillator startup delay => active MCLK signal => isolator => XMOS MCLK input pin.

On WaveIO this task is a bit 'simpler':
XMOS control pin (to change MCLK frequency) => enable pin of desired 'audio' NDK oscillator => oscillator startup delay => active MCLK signal => XMOS MCLK input pin.

The path for WaveIO is way shorter (mainly because - in case of Master Audio Clock / MCLK - it does not involve the isolator) thus the delay to provide the required clock frequency to change the sample rate is smaller. Not to mention that - physically - on BluWave, the distance from XMOS and NDKs is bigger compared to WaveIO. I don't know how much it does count but it does...

This, + the fact that I removed the delay routine from BluWave's firmware to allow for sample rate change :)o) might cause this trouble.

Pavel, thank you for providing that sample track, it helped a lot! After listening it I immediately knew the problem might be related to master clock signals! I'm sorry that I couldn't reach you in time but for now I'm simply "fighting" with a new version of drivers form Thesycon. BluWave will benefit from it too so please allow me to take one at a time! So far I hit my head to a completely new mess that I have to handle properly if I want this new driver pack to be properly "customized".

@ Joschl: you're welcome! :)

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.