BluWave USB-to-SPDIF bridge, "a miniature beauty"

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I'm sure oceanpeak does have good intentions in providing infos on how to make better such a product but I'm constrained by a price/performance ratio which I wish to keep for this board. Obviously this design can be improved furthermore, there are several ways to do this that I know right now but all of them will force me crossing the upper limit of 99 Euro for it - as I initially intend to source it on my web pages. So, in this regard, I would like to keep this board with better price/performance ration than WaveIO thus expensive parts like Crysteks are now out of the question (I'm using NDKs instead).
BTW, in case someone is wishing to hook up Crysteks on BluWave that's why those tiny miniBNCs (U.FL.s) are for (external clocking)!
Kind regards,
L

Last edited:
I look forward to trying this board as well and was only trying to offer (while not necessarily appearing to do so) offer a few of my ramblings. Just to reiterate I think lorien is pretty much awesome. Me well I just want to talk science outside the lines of the 50 shades of merican occupation (plus a few territories i forgot to mention).

Very much appreciated Lorien and those sharing high quality projects like this :cool:

Last edited:
Joined 2004
Paid Member
@ ichiban: I guess Wave IO is for that but can you tell me what you have in mind when you are saying "I2S output BlueWave"? Are there any features you want to have on such a new board?

I liked the idea that the Blue Wave can use external clocks....

--from post #1
* BluWave can have two sources for main clock signals: on-board NDK oscillators (finest available to me) and external clocks applied through U.FL. connectors. When external clocks are applied, local oscillators can be disabled... both of them.
--

I run a Twisted Pair Buffalo II dac with Cronus, which has two clocks,
Crystek CCHD-957 45.1584MHz & 49.152MHz .

@ ichiban: it's taken into account, this and many more improvements / changes but for the moment I'm testing "the essentials" on BluWave remaining to add them later when I'm pretty sure all will work as I wanted.

@ fabrice63: it's on its way to your address! You should have a PP confirmation email saying that your board was sent. I'll give the rest of details over PMs.

Kind regards,
L

In case there's someone interested, there are some 'immediate' things that can be improved to this board, one improving the stability of BluWave and the second one does help making the power switching easier for this board.
1. Basically, on incoming PCB revision, between J8 and J9 power headers should be a small power relay. Thus J8 will be removed while J9 pushed a bit on the right. I have no idea what I should do with protection diode but this is other discussion.
2. Since JP1 didn't worked as expected I'll remove it completely for the moment.
3. There will be a small USB data filter placed on USB lines.
4. I'll add a small stability improvement for the XMOS processor... nothing serious but I like to have it there.

I know there are requests for allowing external powering for the USB side as well but for now this tiny board doesn't allow me to have too much room for "heavy" changes so in next PCB revision I'll leave things "as is" otherwise I must remove all the LEDs and put that power header there.

Frankly, I have no idea if those LEDs were of any good till now so a little help here would be well appreciated!

Kind regards,
L

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.