BluWave USB-to-SPDIF bridge, "a miniature beauty" - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Line Level
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Gallery Wiki Blogs Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Digital Line Level DACs, Digital Crossovers, Equalizers, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 13th March 2017, 12:28 PM   #11
diyAudio Member

Lorien , you have a pm
Old 14th March 2017, 08:25 AM   #12
diyAudio Member

PM answered, thank you!
Old 14th March 2017, 11:30 AM   #13
diyAudio Member

Quote:
... I'll give it a try by powering the whole BluWave from my bench PSU and come back with results.
@ fabrice63: As promised, I thought I should give it a go and test the USB side with external PSU. The one I'm using is made by my friend Doede and is able to deliver 5V @ 1A ... plenty enough even to get out the magic smoke of my test BluWave if I want
Anyway, to avoid changing one of my USB cables I decided to remove only a part on the PCB with same effect (more or less). The part as the designator "FB6" and is the closest ferrite bead to the USB socket in 0805 package (imperial). I say "more or less" because removing FB6 I simply broke the Pi filter present on the USB +5V input. So, because of that I would suggest changing the USB cable rather than desolder anything on the BluWave board!

So far so good! I tried all kind of combinations I could think off to see how this little card behaves:
1. I leaved the USB cable plugged into my laptop and power on the BluWave board => it was detected instantly.
2. I've powered BluWave first and then plug in the USB cable => worked as expected.

The thing you need to know is this: the output SPDIF side was always powered with the rest of the board. Exceptions to this rule are discussed in above posts and are not covered by this test!

Kind regards,
L

Last edited by Lorien; 14th March 2017 at 11:35 AM.
Old 15th March 2017, 12:24 AM   #14
diyAudio Member

Is this the U800? Need more telecom grade components. Then that extra bandwidth can make an easily phase locked output shaping laplace shading filterset. Then nice and quiet. Unless filters are only for voltage?
Old 15th March 2017, 01:57 PM   #16
diyAudio Member

That's quite a big difference between BluWave and the card linked on Farnell website!
Even if I'm quite familiar with most of XMOS products I never encounter any chip to be called "U800" still, there are two of them: U8 (BGA one) and xCore-200 (latest addition to their offer). Either way, BluWave does not have any of those processors on it due to technical choices but the one used right now is more than capable of doing "just fine"
Filters are not only for voltage regs but placed where I considered that I should have a "quiet" path for both voltage supplies and important digital signals.
Kind regards,
L
Old 15th March 2017, 02:06 PM   #17
diyAudio Member

Bluwave sounds great still. I was talking about the U8, just off by a few sig digits lol. Sweet board lori en. And it's finished already. Lori en you pretty much alright. Thanks! The other link is for a 32 channel USB audio system. TDM and Z axis windowing not needed on the two channel so much.
Thanks!

http://uk.farnell.com/xmos/xk-usb-au...ion/dp/2433468

Last edited by oceanpeak; 15th March 2017 at 02:20 PM.
Old 15th March 2017, 02:55 PM   #18
diyAudio Member

For final testing maybe use the Spectrum Analyzer to see if there is a +/- 10 dB signal distribution noise boundary at 10x time base??
Old 15th March 2017, 04:53 PM   #19
diyAudio Member

VoiciClick the image to open in full size.

With 62.5x time base this is only 400khz .01 phase accuracy bandwidth at a generous -51dB SNR, and SE output

diy hfail can happen

Last edited by oceanpeak; 15th March 2017 at 05:15 PM. Reason: Info
Old 15th March 2017, 06:02 PM   #20
diyAudio Member

http://www.farnell.com/datasheets/1960097.pdf

Hide this!Advertise here!