Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Digital Line Level DACs, Digital Crossovers, Equalizers, etc.

BluWave USB-to-SPDIF bridge, "a miniature beauty"
BluWave USB-to-SPDIF bridge, "a miniature beauty"
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 12th October 2017, 06:40 PM   #161
EBA is offline EBA  France
diyAudio Member

Hello Lorien,

For French MELAUDIA FORUM, Jean Louis P of LUXEMBOURG boat 10 Bluwave board.

I am one of this group.

I have a problem with my board.

The board no started and Windows error 10 indicated by my PC.

It is possible to help me.

Thank's.

Best regard

Eric B
Old 12th October 2017, 07:58 PM   #162
Lorien is offline Lorien
diyAudio Member

Hello Eric,
consulting my notes, it's about a batch of 8 boards and not 10 and the boards you bought are WaveIOs and NOT BluWaves so I might add that you're on the wrong thread!
Anyway, I'll PM you with latest Windows driver for your WaveIO (v4.11) and see how your board is reacting to it!
In addition, let's talk over PMs to get more details from you.
This thread is for another board so let's keep it clean, if possible.

Thank you,
L

EDIT: WaveIO's thread is here, please use the link to report back your results!

Last edited by Lorien; 12th October 2017 at 08:08 PM.
Old 12th October 2017, 08:15 PM   #163
TirNaOg is offline TirNaOg
diyAudio Member

Default Blue wave Working with Linux

Hi Lucian

My bluewave arrived and it is a gorgeous looking pcb, even better I've got it working right away with my Linux based server, fed by an Iso Regen and powered by 5v LT3045 reg externally. Out of the box it sounds really beautiful, rich and smooth with deep soundstage. More later... with some burn in and connected properly

Very happy
Patrick
Old 14th October 2017, 11:02 AM   #164
Lorien is offline Lorien
diyAudio Member

Patrick, thank you very much for your feedback!
I'm glad you like the board despite the long wait...
Old 14th October 2017, 11:08 AM   #165
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorien View Post
Patrick, thank you very much for your feedback!
I'm glad you like the board despite the long wait...

You are welcome Lucian !

I had another session listening late into the night, the sound with the Bluewave now playing for a few days is spectacular to me. Voices have incredibly realistic nuances and inflections. Soundstage is deeper and wider, leaving the speakers and floating, details are multiplied, with increased air and transparency. Very pure sounding and sweeter... the realism is uncanny.
Old 14th October 2017, 02:07 PM   #166
carsten.witt is offline carsten.witt  Germany
diyAudio Member

Hi all,
please see NDK NZ2520SDA oscillators group buy

:-)
Old 15th October 2017, 11:53 AM   #167
kimschips is offline kimschips  Denmark
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimschips View Post
I am using revision 1.1 of my Bluwave board.
Hi Lorien

Have you tested if it make any difference in jitter measured between using a USB2.0 or USB3.0 port?
Old 15th October 2017, 01:02 PM   #168
jameshillj is offline jameshillj  Australia
diyAudio Member

Hi Lorien,

I finally had the Blue Wave pcb installed in my LM-502 Line Magnetic dac and it replaced the unsatisfactory factory fitted unit - it worked straight away - the tech guy was really pleasantly surprised with how well it sounded, not an easy thing to do.

The initial trial here at home was feeding signal via the SOtM sms-200 server (using the Squeezelite program and data off the HDD) and it seems to be functioning perfectly - the LM-502 uses the ESS 9016 chip and it'll accept up to 24b/192k

However, changing to using the music data stored in the Laptop/jRiver and sending it to the sms-200 via the MPD/DNLA program did present some problems but this maybe because of an incorrect setup of the jRiver program after the computer was upgraded to Win 10 and everything needed attention, including the jRiver program.

The music can be fine for one song but the next new song from a different cd will breakup and static a lot - as a computer 'nonce' this is something I'll have to ask about and get an expert to set it up properly, I think.

Lastly, Plugging the laptop computer directly into the BlueWave pcb, and after some stuffing about, it plays perfectly, but only on 'standard' material 16b/44k but it works!! That's a bit of a Victory to this computer challenged person!

This dac hasn't sounded anywhere as good with either AES/EBU, SPdif or Toslink - it has an optional valve buffer on the output that really changes the sound - makes it 'more musical', if you'll pardon the 'jargon'

Again, Thank You for the device
Old 15th October 2017, 06:15 PM   #169
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by carsten.witt View Post

Thanks for the pics Carsten.wit. Great quality soldering!

I wonder how complicated it is to replace clocks like these with mini BNC connectors for external clock input? Anyone know?

Thanks.
Old 16th October 2017, 08:26 AM   #170
Lorien is offline Lorien
diyAudio Member

@ Kim: well, as you already know, I'm now focused on adding stability of this design when used with all platforms / OSes so measurements had to be done later.

As for jitter on USB3.0 vs USB2.0: the measurement is too subjective in my opinion! Why? Because each motherboard is designed in its own way, with own voltage regulators, PCB layout and parts. Taking them all together, one MoBos might be less noisy than others with better layout than others. I don't own such expensive jitter measurement tools and even if I did, I can only measure the USB ports I have at disposal. This is not objective but a subjective measurement which is mostly good only got me.

At theoretical level (not tested by me so far) the less noise on the USB path (including power and GND reference) => the better. Perhaps this was the reason why GigaByte (and maybe other MoBo manufacturers) decided to implement dedicated USB ports for DACs which - if I recall correctly - are in yellow color at the I/O panel.
Perhaps in the future I'll seek a way to measure "things" and post the result in different configurations. This way you may build up an idea on how USB 2.0 or USB 3.0 will influence the sound.

BluWave USB-to-SPDIF bridge, "a miniature beauty"Hide this!Advertise here!