My new Boss - another PI-HAT

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Wondering about JST connector also

Would anyone know what JST jack the J4 is? There seems to be an awful lot of different JST 2 pin jacks... hi-res image here.

Thanks a lot

It looks like the connector on rechargeable batteries in cordless phones - but I don't know the exact spec on those either. Amazon sells pre-wired cables with JST connectors (just search Amazon for JST connector) but typically in bundles of 20 - I just want one and hate to waste 19!

I am rebuilding my pi 3/Boss stack with separate power supplies and would like to feed 5v to the Boss from an isolated linear source using J4. I suspect that is what you are attempting as well.

I wish Allo did a better job documenting their products.

It looks like the connector on rechargeable batteries in cordless phones - but I don't know the exact spec on those either. Amazon sells pre-wired cables with JST connectors (just search Amazon for JST connector) but typically in bundles of 20 - I just want one and hate to waste 19!

I am rebuilding my pi 3/Boss stack with separate power supplies and would like to feed 5v to the Boss from an isolated linear source using J4. I suspect that is what you are attempting as well.

I wish Allo did a better job documenting their products.

Thanks wtnh. I've changed course a bit and bought the Allo Isolator, feeding Isolator (and through that, Boss) with 9V batteries at the moment (recommendable but expensive!:D). The Isolator has both a normal DC jack and "some" 2-pin jack I also don't know what is. I think I get 10 hours on a small 9V battery... have ordered 45Ah LIFEPO4 batteries, can't wait for those to arrive. So I hope power for Isolator+Boss is what matters most, and just feed the pi3 with the standard Allo smps. As I understand it the pi3 has (bad) internal regulators, so no matter how clean power to the pi it will "mess it up" somewhat.

Last edited:
Hello ,
I live in Turkey and two days ago I received volt+ and attenuator bundle from he local distributer.It has a 1000 uf 85v Lelon, and two 470 uf no name caps at 35v. How come when they advertise panasonic caps on their sites. Any ideas. Seems like a cost reduction on the pcb. Totally disappointed.any comments

Hi all,

I have read the thread and others and I am a bit confused about amp power in powering the Boss. I want to opt for the (easier) solution where I plug in a 5v power into pins 1 and 16 (in J19), simply because I have limited experience with soldering (etc). My question: will an ifi 5v 2.5A power supply be sufficient in this setup or do I need a 3A power supply?

Sorry for possibly reiterating what has been previously discussed but I couldn't find a clear answer reading around.

Thanks!

Joined 2008
Paid Member
I use the iFi 5v 2.5a power supply for my RPi + BOSS DAC. Been running 24/7 this way for many months now. However, I don't use J19, I use the iFi's microUSB adapter to power the RPI (which in turns provides power to the BOSS DAC). In other words, the iFi PSU has enough current for these two devices.

Were you asking about powering both devices (RPI+DAC) with one PSU? Or are you asking about separate power supplies for each device?

All of us running two supplies are preferring such as setup.
The difference won't be earth shattering though.
It's IMO worth the effort for those people who want to squeeze the last bit out of
the system.

The power scheme of the first Boss has been kind of awkward.
We pushed Allo to change it. They did it with the new 1.2 revision.
Now you've got a usb-c (that usb-"c"" and its location was not what we've been talking about though! :rolleyes:)
to power the DAC and you've got a jumper to cut off the PI power rail.

If you consider tampering around with the Boss 1.0. You'd just have to desolder a small 0R
in the upper left corner - if I recall correctly - to cut off the PI power rail.

Just a final thought. It might be a better idea to buy a new Boss 1.2
instead of going for a 2nd supply for the Boss1.0.
Because not just the power section changed for the better.

Enjoy.

Last edited:
Thanks matt_garman and soundcheck for your replies. Allow me to clarify my situation.

I initially was planning to power the Boss directly off external power and let the RPI run off the Boss (so what I had in mind was not two separate power supplies but the inverse of the 'default setup'). I do see that the two power supply option is definitely the best option, but I will need to purchase two PSUs since I am currently running off a generic ankler mobile charger (I only got the Boss a couple of days ago!)

My main goal is lowering the noise floor. When I turned off BT, HDMI and Wifi the sound became easier on my troubled ears! High frequency sounds can occasionally hurt my ear, I think I have to see a doctor about this soon.

Regarding the version of the Boss, here's the funny thing. My Boss has rev 1.2 written on the board and from the webpage of the online seller I bought it from (not Allo). But it does not have usb-c! I was confused looking at the Boss documents and seeing that mine doesn't match. So I'm confused about which version I have?! I can still return it if it is the wrong model. See picture below

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

So it seems I have the v1?!

I guess I have two questions:

1- If reducing the noise floor is my main goal, does my initial idea of powering the Boss externally and letting the PRI running off of it achieve a significant improvement over the 'default setup'? Or should I go the whole way?

and

2- Besides the ifi, is there an acceptable low-noise 5v PSU in the <100 euro range?

Thank you for your help!

UPDATE:

I have contacted the seller and they will replace the Boss with the v1.2 with a usb-c port!!

Thank you all for helping me spot this.

Since it is easier to do so with v1.2 I will run each board from a separate PSU.

What remains now is a PSU(s), can I continue with the ankler generic PSU feeding the Pi and get an better PSU for the Boss?

Regarding feeding the Boss 1.2, Allo recommends 5v 3a, and ifi ipower is 2.5a? Am I missing something?

Thank you again!

UPDATE:

I have contacted the seller and they will replace the Boss with the v1.2 with a usb-c port!!

Thank you all for helping me spot this.

Since it is easier to do so with v1.2 I will run each board from a separate PSU.

What remains now is a PSU(s), can I continue with the ankler generic PSU feeding the Pi and get an better PSU for the Boss?

Regarding feeding the Boss 1.2, Allo recommends 5v 3a, and ifi ipower is 2.5a? Am I missing something?

Thank you again!

The BOSS DAC needs less than 200 - 300 mA on its own so iPower is more than sufficient.

Thank you CallMeMike, I went on and did it.

I read on the forums someone who address a capacitor to the Boss (v1) with good improvements. You can read it here. He also did added caps to the power supply but I wonder about the one he added to the DAC.

What do you all think of this tweak? Think it's worth it?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.