AK4458 multichannel DAC with I2S input - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Line Level
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Gallery Wiki Blogs Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Digital Line Level DACs, Digital Crossovers, Equalizers, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 31st January 2017, 07:50 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default AK4458 multichannel DAC with I2S input

Hi all,

I have made this topic for my upcoming project, AK4458 multichannel DAC. There are not too much multichannel DACs on the market, but I need it to drive my active loudspeaker system correctly.

This chip is reasonably priced and has a simple layout (only 48pin) but still have good enough parameters to build an outstanding DAC I think....

I you have any advice, experience, please share it! Thanks...!

/ alternative could be the ES9016 but ESS does NOT support public designs and the costs of a chip incl. taxes and shipping is horrible! /
Old 31st January 2017, 08:14 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

There are not a lot of designs with this IC yet, but for example OPPO, Marantz and ONKYO...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg carte-analogique-8-canaux-sur-alimentation-principale.jpg (409.0 KB, 477 views)
File Type: jpg MARANTZ SR7010_DAC_Board_2.jpg (602.0 KB, 458 views)
File Type: jpg Onkyo-TX-RZ900-inside-2_big.jpg (303.6 KB, 441 views)
Old 31st January 2017, 08:17 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

I use miniSharc with miniDAC-8 based on AK4440. Having compared it to DIY ES9018 or AK4495 I am sure that AK4440 is a well sounding chip and you cannot go wrong with the better AK4485. Good luck on the project and I hope to have the opportunity to replace miniDAC with your board ;-)
Old 31st January 2017, 09:13 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

The first question: should I supply the AVDD and Vref pins from the same regulator like the datasheet recommends? Does it make sense the use of shunt regulator(s)?

"Power lines of AVDD and VREFH1-4 should be distributed separately from LDO and etc. while keeping low impedance. If it is not possible, it is recommended to connect a LPF composed by a 10Ω resistor and a 220uF capacitor between VREFL1-4 and VREFH1-4. ... The VREFH1/2/3/4 pin is normally connected to AVDD, and the VREFL1/2/3/4 pin is normally connected to AVSS."
Attached Images
File Type: jpg AK4458VN schematic.JPG (141.9 KB, 426 views)

Last edited by zarandok; 31st January 2017 at 09:15 AM.
Old 31st January 2017, 09:21 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

My secound question: does it make sense to build in a quality oscillator near the IC for the master clock (like by the ESS DACs). Does it improve anything or I should use rather the SCK (or MCK) coming from the receiver?
Old 31st January 2017, 09:29 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

Location: Hangzhou - Marco Polo's 'most beautiful city'. 700yrs is a long time though...
Send a message via Yahoo to abraxalito
Based on my experience with Wolfson DACs I'd suggest if you're looking for the best subjective sound quality, arrange for the loading of the audio output pins to be as light as possible. To do this increase the working impedance of the suggested output circuit in fig75. Scaling all the resistor values up by a constant factor and the capacitor values down by the same factor will achieve this. I'd also suggest reducing the corner frequency of this circuit as 99kHz is rather high for a -3dB point.

For the supply rails, you'll want the lowest impedance to get the best performance. Most standard 3pin regulators don't give particularly low output impedance at lowish currents (of the order a few tens of mA). Shunts tend to do much better - transistor assisted shunts better still. Check the TL431 datasheet for a suggested circuit for a transistor assisted shunt.

Last edited by abraxalito; 31st January 2017 at 09:31 AM.
Old 31st January 2017, 09:56 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

Thanks. I'll try my own shunts first...

Output filter is another theme, I'll use full balanced output, possibly with OPA1632 IC-s (but it is just an idea).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SHUNT 3D front_4.JPG (51.1 KB, 411 views)

Last edited by zarandok; 31st January 2017 at 10:00 AM.
Old 31st January 2017, 10:04 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

Location: Hangzhou - Marco Polo's 'most beautiful city'. 700yrs is a long time though...
Send a message via Yahoo to abraxalito
On the question about Vref, definitely I'd use a separate dedicated regulator for that, preferably with a passive (LC) filter on its output to get the lowest possible noise.
Old 1st February 2017, 05:00 PM   #9
Hsmeets is offline Hsmeets  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

You have seen that this DAC is in a QFN package and you have tools and/or skills to solder this leadless package?
Old 2nd February 2017, 06:25 AM   #10
diyAudio Member

Yes I have seen... I'l try simple with a pointed soldering iron and soldering paste. Bad idea?

Hide this!Advertise here!