AK4458 multichannel DAC with I2S input

So, I have made as I find it right...

The big bypass capacitors (10-100uF) have separate traces to the GND connection point. The small caps (10-100nF) near the OPAs are connected to the copper pour on both side. I didn't find a separate way for them. Some top-bottom GND vias must be still placed perhaps.

The lower side (for Ch1-4) must be simply mirrored...

At the first I do not plan to use the on-board regulators (I have external ones), will simply short them.

Attachments

• pcb_top_1.JPG
    pcb_top_1.JPG
    158.2 KB · Views: 689
  • pcb_bottom_1.JPG
    pcb_bottom_1.JPG
    123.9 KB · Views: 674
Last edited:
Slowly but surely...
The filter pcb with only 4 channel and without copper pour yet (soon will be finished)...
I`ll order 10 pcs. from each pcb. Will somebody get from that?

Hi,

I am interested in buying the boards because I am looking for a 8 ch DAC.
Do you have an estimated price for the boards and your complete DAC project?
And what about software drivers? Will it show up in Windows 10 and is it ASIO compliant?

Succes and "Every step you make every breath you take...."

The DAC boards doesn't cost too much, about 2$ for each empty board. The AK4458 costs <10$. The expensiver parts are the housing (30-200$), transformers (30-80$), connectors, ect... and a good asynchronous USB to I2S receiver (100$). I did not made a calculation yet, but an estimation for my complete project (without assembly time of course) makes about 350$. This sum includes my available 8ch MiniDSP USBStreamer too, it works fine with Win10 ASIO...

I have made some changes, pictures will follow...

Last edited:
The DAC boards doesn't cost too much, about 2$ for each empty board. The AK4458 costs <10$. The expensiver parts are the housing (30-200$), transformers (30-80$), connectors, ect... and a good asynchronous USB to I2S receiver (100$). I did not made a calculation yet, but an estimation for my complete project (without assembly time of course) makes about 350$. This sum includes my available 8ch MiniDSP USBStreamer too, it works fine with Win10 ASIO...

I have made some changes, pictures will follow...

OK I understand how you will "deliver" the software and drivers, smart.

I don't have a precision measuring equipment, so I can't deliver exact measurements unfortunatelly...

I'm not sure witch filter should I use. Is it enough a 2dn order with about fc=200kHz (2,2n-220p-3,9k-4,7k-120R)? (opa is an LM4562, 55Mhz)

Attachments

• s-n 3,3-0,47.jpg
    s-n 3,3-0,47.jpg
    180.6 KB · Views: 66
  • s-n 2,2-0,22.jpg
    s-n 2,2-0,22.jpg
    180.9 KB · Views: 69
  • 3,3-150.jpg
    3,3-150.jpg
    213.5 KB · Views: 100
  • 2,2-120.jpg
    2,2-120.jpg
    213.4 KB · Views: 435
Hi Marcel,

I've ordered 10 pieces because of minimal ordering amount.
But if you wish, I can send a set of pcbs for you. Or did you meant complete, soldered panels?

Unfortunatelly I couldn't finish mine yet, I'll receive the DAC IC only at the beginning of April...

Hi Zarandok,
Thanks for the offer! The passive components will be no problem soldering, but I now realise that that would mean soldering on the DAC as well. Never soldered on a large modern IC before...
Do you know what IC package it is?

Edit: looked it up, that is a difficult type of IC to solder, I guess it needs a reflow oven?
greetings, Marcel

Last edited: