Is this do-able ??

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I had an idea but I dont know if it can work. I have an older YBA cd player that I,ve always really liked. Since the digital age I prefer to just stream.(guess I,ve gotten Lazy:p) I am just getting together some bits to build a streamer with my rpi2.One of the items I need is an enclosure and the cd player chassis could be a good candidate. What I wondered though is can the transport section of the player be removed but still use the dac section. My thought was to mount the pi in the empty space from the transport and run the signal through the dac section.There may also be some leftover power sources on the board that could be used for the pi.. Any thoughts?

This is probably feasible if the transport and the DAC elctronics are on independent circuit boards. It may even be feasible if they occupy a common board, but would likely require irreversible damage to the board to implement. The key acccess point will be the standardized 3-wire digital audio interface buss which typically interfaces digital audio source streams to audio DAC chips. Even if you can isolate the DAC section, there may be other signals which are needed to control the DAC section from the transport section, or from an microcontroller located somewhere off the DAC section.

Overall, I strongly suspect that you would be in for much more bother than you might expect. I very much doubt this project would be worth the time and effort.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.