Mini-DSP quality

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
What?
They use a lot of Shark or other analog devices DSPs
I state that the digital in - samplerate conversion arcitecture of many minidsp products may be hampered with a fault that can degrade sound quality.
So it is all an ansver to question #1.

Hello !
I was reading your posts about the minisharc and ASRC and was wondering if you have answers to some of my questions :)
The minisharc ( as per manual on p.18 ) has a master clock of 24.576Mhz.
How does it generate this clock exactly? (Does it have this exact clock on the board or does it divide from some other value ? )
Second question is: the ADSP21369 is running at 333MHz; is there interaction beetween the two clocks? I could imagine the ADSP generating the output data and then the software waiting for the (24.576 Mhz) master clock to output the data (?). This is the part which is not very clear to me... Thanks :) :)

I've just finished my latest attempt at active. This time I've used the analog version of the minidsp, one 2x4 for each channel, four Pass ACA's. Pretty happy now! The trouble I had before was the compressed sound stage with the full digital minidsp, so using one minidsp board per channel the sound stage and imagery is now what I'm after.

As I say pretty happy now.

Well done persevering! I'm confused by your conclusion about using the 'analog version' of the minidsp though: Do you mean you're using 2x miniDSP Balanced 2x4 (or the board-only equivalent) driven by an attenuating DAC?

If so, your signal path is Source > DA > 2x (AD > DA)! Which is more ADDA flipflops than you had in the first place - but sidestepping SRC issues with the one box unit.

It would be interesting if that was a better way to do it. Also, what 12V PSU did you end up using?

Last edited:
I haven't read the whole thread, only the first couple of pages. But I'm looking for a product that has a powerful DSP, two optical inputs (one from my TV and one from my PC), and a digital output to my DAC. There seems to be no such product so I've been looking at attempting a DIY build with the MiniSHARC kit from MiniDSP, and then buying the optical inputs and a source selector from Twisted Pear. I don't know how I would go about the digital output and power supply for the whole thing. Is the power supply coming with the MiniSHARC powerful enough for my needs?

You can use an OpenDRC DI to fill your needs. The OpenDRC DI is a minisharc with a Digi-FP interface.

The Digi-FP has a coax, an optical and an AES-EBU input, and you can switch between them. You only need an optical-coax converter for one of the sources. You only need to add the Digi-FP to what you have.

Johan-Kr

You can use an OpenDRC DI to fill your needs. The OpenDRC DI is a minisharc with a Digi-FP interface.

The Digi-FP has a coax, an optical and an AES-EBU input, and you can switch between them. You only need an optical-coax converter for one of the sources. You only need to add the Digi-FP to what you have.

Johan-Kr

Oh, never though of converting the optical signal to a coax signal. Is such a converter expensive and do they degrade the sound quality?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.